Difference between revisions of "Adaptus"
m (restored map link; please use the versioning feature)
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
|other_symbol_type = <!--Use if a further symbol exists, e.g. hymn-->
|other_symbol_type = <!--Use if a further symbol exists, e.g. hymn-->
|image_map = [[File:
|image_map = [[File:.png|250px]]
|alt_map = Map of Adaptus
|alt_map = Map of Adaptus
|map_caption = Map of Adaptus
|map_caption = Map of Adaptus
Revision as of 06:12, 17 March 2023
Grand Federal Imperium of Adaptus
Maximo Regnum Foederatum Adaptus (Adapton Aromance)
Motto: "Vi veri universum vivus vici"
Map of Adaptus
|Official languages||Adapton Aromance|
|Government||Constitutional Parliamentary Monarchy|
• Grand Consol (Prime Minister)
• Ram Sea Civilisation
• Death of Andreas the Great
• Conquest of Ialica by the Aroman Empire
• Defeat of Prolenistic Revolt
• Battle of Dubaserium
• Formation of Atulia
• Treaty of Hessallas
• First War of Adapton Succession
• AdSoc War
|1,326,602 km2 (512,204 sq mi)|
• 2019 census
|169.2/km2 (438.2/sq mi)|
|GDP (nominal)||2018 estimate|
• Per capita
|Currency||Adapton Imperial Solidus ($) (ADS)|
This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
The Grand Federal Imperium of Adaptus (Adapton Aromance: Maximo Regnum Foederatum Adaptus), more commonly known as Grand Adaptus, Adaptus or the Federal Imperium, is a sovereign state in the Occident region of the continent of Europa on Eurth. It is bordered to the north by Haruspex, to the east by Tagmatium to the south-east by Suverina and to the south by Lysia, to the west by the Ram Sea and to the north-west by the Cetan Sea. The Grand Federal Imperium has a population of 224 million and is heavily urbanised, although its large size means that there are large areas that are sparsely populated. Much of the population is located on the country's western seaboard, as well as the river valleys of the Iaehos and Sinnuus rivers. Adaptus also includes the island of Phalkia (known in Anglish as "Phalkridge Island") and the Ialicus Islands. The total area of Adaptus is 1,326,602km2. The official language of Adaptus is Adapton Aromance, although both Fragran and Laimiaic are also widely spoken. Adaptus is a secular state, with no official religion.
Adaptus itself is a remnant of and successor state to the Aroman Empire, which encompassed several modern-day nations, as well as Andrean Hegemony prior to the rise of Arome. This legacy can still be seen today in Adaptus, in terms of its language, culture, and legal systems. Adaptus is a parliamentary constitutional elective monarchy, using a federal monarchy system of government. This is in conjunction with a complex parliamentary system. The ruling monarch delegates the leadership of the government to the Grand Consul, although the monarch retains absolutist powers. The executive, legislative and judicial branches are all further broken down into a tiered system, which are at the federal, provincial and an almost grass-roots level. The current monarch is Caesar Augustus III. The Federal Imperium consists of six Federal Provinces: Atulia, Bonesis, Causicrussia, Ialica, Phalkia and Thessapolis. These each have their own devolved administrations. The capital of Adaptus is Novacastrum, which is located on the Sinuus River. It has a population of 10 million and is also the financial and cultural centre of the country. Other large cities include the major ports of Tellakois and Blythenae, as well as the major river port of Syracenio in the south-east of the country and the provincial capitals of Dysidius and Causicrus.
Evidence of eumans living in what is now Adaptus dates back to the Palaeolithic Era, with ancient eumans being present in the western Occident from 600,000 ago. Modern eumans settled in Adaptus in the Mesolithic period, with farming arriving with the Neolithic Revolution. The first civilisations to rise in the western Occident was the Phaloan civilisation, based on the island of Phalkia, and the Ayecenean civilisation, both in the 4th Millenium BC. These merged into one by the 3rd Millenium and became the Ram Sea Civilisation, part of the Prolenistic cultural group that existed across the central Occident. The 4th Century saw the King of Adonia, Andreas the Great, launch a war of conquest across the Occident and beyond. This empire did not last past his death in 319BC, and it collapsed into the warring kingdoms of the so-called Inheritors. These kingdoms were slowly absorbed by the growing power of the Aroman Republic and by 150BC the last of the Adapton Inheritors had become part of Aroman civilisation.
The Aroman Empire lost its grip on the western Occident by AD484, with the death of Emperor Arcadius at the Battle of Dubaserium. Adaptus became an anarchic mix of independent Aroman cities and the territories of invading tribes from Argis, Burania and Azania. These eventually coalesced into six kingdoms, which warred against each other and their neighbours until three of them, Atulia, Bonesis and Thessapolis, merged in 1654. The other three would also be incorporated by 1824, when Adaptus centralised under Caesar Domianus IV, although this caused several conflicts. By the late 1700s, Adaptus had entered into an industrial evolution, with technology and ideas swapping between it and Tagmatium. The country became one of the manufacturing centres of Eurth, as well as one of the banking centres. By the late 20th and early 21st Centuries, Adaptus had become one of the most powerful nations on Eurth, although the early 21st Century saw several civil wars rock the country in quick succession, including the Paterist War and AdSoc War, which saw several of Adaptus' neighbours intervene in order to bring them to an end.
The Grand Federal Imperium is considered to be a developed country and it is the largest economy on Eurth, with a GDP of $6.854 trillion. However, its GDP per capita lags behind many of the other large economies, in 22nd place, with $30,527. It is a free market economy, which sets it apart from many of the other leading economies on Eurth. The economy is built around the service, financial and manufacturing sectors, although agriculture, heavy industry, mining and fossil fuel industries also play a major part. Glubally, Adaptus is a great power, with a large and well-funded military that has a history of overseas interventions as well as anti-piracy and anti-slavery operations. Its closest ally is Tagmatium and both nations are in a customs union called the Aroman Customs Union. Recently, Adaptus has become more insular and holds itself in splendid isolation, avoiding the interventionist policies of the first two decades of the 21st Century. The Grand Federation has not had much more than minimal involvement in Europan or wider Eurth affairs for several years and it has not yet taken a side in the Anglian Crisis.
The 1654 Treaty of Hessallas established the Kingdom of Adaptus, from the merging of the smaller hegemonic states of Atulia, Thessapolis, and Bonesis. Since then the region has been known as Adaptus, to both Adaptons, and the rest of the world. During this time the term Kingdom of Adaptus, or simply Adaptus was used.
Later the addition of Phalkridge island, a historically Adaption influenced island, and Causicrussia to the northeast in the late 19th century lead to the term Grand Adaptus being coined. It is from this time on we see the use of Grand Adaptus more commonly informal documentation, as well as in informal and common usage. However, it was not until the early 2000's that the official name of the sovereign state incorporated the addition, Grand. To many, the nation is simply referred to as Adaptus.
Adaptus was home to one of the first advanced civilization on Eurth. It is considered the birthplace of Thessalistic civilization, which is thought to have begun with the Phaloan civilization, in what is modern-day Phalkridge, and Ayecenean civilization on the Adapton mainland, around what is today Tellakois. Both of these civilizations possessed writing, an early form of Adapton Romance. The two peoples lived in relative harmony, with the two groups eventually absorbing one another towards the late bronze age. During which there was great disruption, and what is thought to be very violent upheaval in the region.
A period which would later become known as the Adapton Dark Age, as the civilizations around the region transitioned from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age.
The end of this Dark Age is generally dated to somewhere between 800 BCE and 770 BCE. It's at this time we see the organization of unified sporting events between the developing peoples' int he area. These events have become known as the Thessalistic Games. We also see the advent of works of literature arising around this time. Most predominantly, we see the emergence of the first City States, which also lead to the colonizing of the region, from the modern-day Thessapolis coast to the northern frontiers of Causicrussia, and across to Phalkridge. The boom in civilization saw many advances in the regions culture, literature, architecture, science, mathematics, and philosophy. In around the year 500BC we see the Philosopher Kleisthenes establish the first modern functioning democracy in Atulia, with the City-State of Blythenae. The lack of any political unity in Adthens, lead to frequent conflict between City-States.
(WIP. According to Orthodox tradition, Andrew the Apostle (Laimiaic: Ἀνδρέας), also called Saint Andrew, was an apostle of Christ. Both he and his brother Peter were fishermen by trade, hence the tradition of called them the "fishers of men". Orthodox church tradition of Adaptus regards Saint Andrew as the first preacher of Christianity in this part of the Occident. This established practice comes from later Aroman sources. The apostolic successor to Saint Andrew is the Patriarch of Novumcastrum.)
(NW Occidental Europa. Part of the Occident. Neighbours: Tagmatium, Haruspex, Suverina, Beautancus. Cities include: Novumcastrum (capital), Adthens, Tellakois. Types of climate. Rivers. Nature: flora and fauna.)
The government in Adaptus is very much a unique affair and is considered rather complex. The main legislative structure if that of a three-tier system, one level being a devolved local government, the remaining two being a grassroots branch and a wider Federal branch.
The main head of the government is the Grand Consul, who has delegated the task of day-to-day running of the nation on behalf of the King. The King in modern Adaptus has no de facto authority to create legislation or to make decisions. The main purpose of the King is to act as a veto power in order to veto any legislation put through government that steps out of line with the democratic process.
In order to delegate government duties, the Grand Consul will form a formal Cabinet of Ministers from Praetors (Ministers) that sit in the Foederati Contione (Federal Assembly). The Consul can create as many Cabinet positions as they see fit, and can delegate accordingly. Some common examples are: Cancellarius Scaccarii (Chancellor of the Exchequer) or Scriba Defensionis. This Cabinet of Praetors forms the effective government of Adaptus.
As said above there are three legislative branches within Adapton government.
- The top tier is that of the Foederati Contione (FC). The FC is where all Federal-wide issues and legislation is discussed and ratified. Things such as national level internal policy, foreign policy, defense matters, etc. The FC is unique beyond the other two branches in that it is the only branch with a Vote of No Confidence veto against both the Grand Consul and the King. Although an incredibly rare occurrence.
- The second tier of Adapton legislature is the Magistrate Curia. This is a more grassroots version of the FC. As such the Curia deals almost exclusively with “Civil” (Explained in full later one). These matters are often things that don’t have the same importance as Federal matters and include such things as family law, civil dispute laws, business regulation laws, etc. Members of the Curia are called Magistrates and are elected using a different system to those of the FC. Magistrates are elected based on local community boundaries, as opposed to equally represented boundaries like the FC.
- The third tier is the Provincial Assemblies. There are five Provincial Assemblies representing each of the five Federal Provinces. These Assemblies each deal with their own localized issues and legislation in keeping with the guidelines on devolution set by the FC, a unique aspect of the PAs are that they have their own localized Consuls known as Rector Provincae. The Rectors are able to pass and certify Local issues. The most important job for the PAs, however, as the first point of any legislation within Adaptus is the classification of legislation, which is known within Adaptus as Partitio Iuris. This is an extremely important part of the Federal legislation process.
There are three different classifications of legislation within Adaptus.
- The first and simplest are Local Legislations. These are legislation that affects only people within that province. Therefore these legislations are not forwarded onto the Curia or the FC. They are dealt with at the local level and are certified by the Rectors of each province.
- The second type of Legislation is Civil. These are more personal matters relating to the Citizenry of Adaptus, and as described above include things such as family law and civil disputes. These are forwarded onto the Curia where they are dealt with.
- The final type is Federal Legislation. These are issues that concern the nation as a whole, things such as defense, budgets, taxation, foreign policy, federal level home policy, etc. These will be forwarded onto the FC upon classification and passing the PA.
This classification is conducted by the Speaker of the Provincial Assembly. The Speaker is a non-voting member of the PA who both categorizes legislation and chairs the debates within the PAs. Both Curia and FC also have their own Speakers. However in addition to the Speaker PAs also have Observers. Each Speaker has an Observer colleague. The Observers are former Speakers of a different Province. They act as objective second opinions for the Speaker when classifying legislation.
In most nations, this is where the government process stops. However, in Adaptus there is an entirely different section of government. While this additional hierarchy does not actively take part in the process of lawmaking, it is still a highly important role within the government structure of Adaptus. The first part we have described is known as the “Political Route” into power. This second area is known as the “Academic Route” into power. And it is this route that directly decides who will be King. As in Adaptus the King is elected. For this tree of government, it is more efficient to begin from the bottom.
- The bottom tier for the Academic Route is through what our own as Professional Societies. For each profession one can pursue, there exist one or more professional societies. These are akin to something like a Chartered Insitute for Accounting or Engineering in other nations, but society exists for almost all professions. The societies are public organizations, run by the public, but funded privately. This allows societies to self-regulate and form and reduces the money the government has to spend. The main purpose of these societies is exactly the same as chartered engineering or accounting institutes of other nations, to regulate the professionals working within those fields. These societies are the first rung on the academic route because it is a requirement for a person to be a member of one of these societies before they can progress to the next tier.
- The next stage is the Altiora Academica Societatis (AAS) or Higher Academic Society. This is a publicly funded official Society and is the first real step towards becoming King. The AAS itself is comprised of anywhere between 10,000 to 100,000 members at a time. The highest amount of members at one time was 161,291 in 1995. The AAS is essentially the top professionals from across Adaptus. In order to become a member, you must first be a member of a PS, then after 5 years of being a member, you can submit an application. After which, if your application is successful you be asked to sit an introductory interview. A series of academic and vocational exams related to your profession as well as other key subjects. Then upon passing those exams pass a second more rigorous interview by a committee of professional members of the AAS who are experts in your profession. Once successfully negotiating all of these stages a professional will be inducted as an AAS member. The AAS serves the purposes of supplying Adaptus with its key public officials. Barristers, Judges, Key Medical leaders, top Generals, top university professors, etc. The AAS is also the first society which begins to push on extremely stringent guidelines and codes of conduct on its members.
- Exceptional members of the AAS who have shown true skill in their profession can then be elevated further. By invitation, only AAS members can be asked to join the Collegium Principals (College of Principals). This is the highest Academic accolade, within the professional meritocracy of Adapton society, besides being elected King. The College is a full-time position, in which a member will be expected to become a full-time tutor and lecture to the next generation of their profession. At any given time where are around 100 to 300 College Principals. The highest membership was 502 in 2009. The College has an incredibly strict code of conduct which is designed to ensure Principals both nurture the Citizenry for the future generation and also protect the Citizenry’s fundamental rights to democracy. It is from the College Principals that the King is elected.
Upon the death, abdication, or expulsions of the previous King, the Principals are required to gather at the College in order to elect a new Head of State. Elections normally take place within a week of the former monarchy relinquishing their position. The process is much the same as when a new Pope is elected. The Principals are locked within the main hall of the College until a new Monarch is elected.
The process for the election is completely anonymous. The Grand Consul chairs the election and is also locked within the College. Each principal is required to write a formal declaration of their interest, or lack of interest on an anonymous sheet of paper, those interested in being put forward as a successor must write a small manifesto no more than 500 words as to why they should be King. Each Principal then takes turns to hand in their declaration to the Grand Consul. Who then sorts through those that have put themselves forward, and distributes their rationales for Monarchy. After a period of deliberation voting being on which declaration is most in line with the Monarchy position, until a clear majority is formed. This person is then announced to the Principals. Who then formally acknowledge the position.
It is worth noting at this point, the title of King within Adaptus is devoid of gender. Both males and females can assume the position of King. It is also worth noting the spouse of the King does not gain any form of title.
The Foederati Vis Defensionis (Federal Defence Force) is the military force of the Grand Federal Imperium of Adaptus. It consists of the Custodes Foederati, Foederati Custodes Nauticis, Foederati Custodes Aeria, Medicinae Custodes Foederati, Foederati Nauticis Custodes Kosmos, Informationes Officium Bellica, Insuetam Officium Bellica, as well as auxiliary forces. Executive command of the Foederati Vis Defensionis residing in the Principalis Militaris, a position which is elected every 3 years. In turn the Principalis Militaris is under the directive of the Adapton Caesar, who forms the overall military policy along with the Academiae Militaris Belli. Throughout its history the Military of Adaptus has played a pivotal role in the overall history of Adaptus, both during its antiquity and throughout the near-modern and modern history. Additionally, the military of Adaptus greatly influenced the military of the Aroman Empire during its existence. Today the military forms a core part of Adpaton culture and society, being not only a defensive force, but a key source of civil services, such as healthcare, education, and law and order. In addition, to defensive, and internal civil duties, the military of Adaptus conducts numerous operations overseas, and around the world, such as anti-piracy and anti-slavery operations, rescue, and relief operations, and peacekeeping.
The Adapton armed forces draws its personnel form an entirely paid volunteer force, and recruits both males and females in all roles. The minimum recruitment age for Adaptons to join the armed forces is 16, however, a long and rigorous education and training programme is followed after recruitment at this age, with most service personnel not seeing full-time service until the age of 22.
As of a 2017 census, the Adapton Military spend is around $706 billion per year, which equated to around 10.3% of GDP that year. Due to this, the Adapton Armed Forces has significant capabilities in both defence and power projection, resulting in advanced and powerful technologies which enables a widespread deployment of the force around the world, with the Adapton Military having many overseas bases.
(WIP. Really into naval blockades.)