This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
The Empire of Orioni
Erwanin Emparayia (Oharic)
Motto: Libertati Viam Facere
|Recognised national languages||Anglish|
|Government||Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy|
|Joni I Nabérrie|
• First Empire
• Second Empire
|1,139,811 km2 (440,083 sq mi)|
• 2018 estimate
|GDP (nominal)||2018 estimate|
• Per capita
|HDI (2017)|| 0.94|
|Currency||ION (ION (Φ))|
|Time zone||UTC+9 to +10|
|ISO 3166 code||OR|
The Orioni Empire, commonly referred to as Orioni (o·ri·o·ni; pronounced /ɒɹiːɒniː/ or oh-ree-oh-nee), is an island nation off the eastern coast of the Europan continent. Orioni also lies on the western side of the Oriental Ocean and stretches from the Rosario Sea in the north to the Azure Sea in the south. It is an environmentally stunning nation, ruled with a fair hand by Her Imperial Highness Joni I Nabérrie, and notable for its museums and concert halls, daily referendums, devotion to social welfare, and a keen interest in outer space.
Orioni is a democracy organised in the form of a parliamentary government under a constitutional monarchy. The constitution defines the Empress as "the symbol of the state and of the unity of the people." It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order with social welfare and equality. Its politicians meet every day in the capital city of O'polis to discuss matters of state. Orioni is a highly developed country with one of the largest economies in Eurth, supported by a strong maritime-commercial base.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 Geography
- 3 History
- 4 Politics
- 5 Economy
- 6 Demographics
- 7 Culture
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The original name for Orioni is Erwanin. It literally means "land of the lady". Erwa means "land" in Indo-European. In the ancient Memopotamian cuneiform script, the term Nin was used to denote a queen or lady. Other languages use a version of Na or Ma. With Orioni being a matriarchal monarchy, this created the name Erwa-Nin, or "land of the queen lady".
The oldest mainstream source for the name is Parhevdi X. Originally, according to transcribed oral traditional, there were five tribes living in the O'polis area on the Altais Plateau: the Anidenya, the Huletenya, the Sositenya, the Aratenya and the Amisitenya. Other clans from the lower coastal land to the south and from the rulers of Tigray province to the east, a part of the Medani empire, frequently attacked these towns. The women of each tribe decided that the five tribes must unite to defeat their common enemy and preserve peace. The men accepted this decision, giving credence to the name "Erwanin".
The name Erwanin also contrasts with mainland Europa, which is dominated by patriarchal societies using the honorific of "baba" or "father". Orinese referred to these other lands as "Land of the Father" or Erwa-Ba(b), over time evolving over Eruaba to present-day "Europa".
The name also appears in other languages under several forms:
- Arauni. In the 9th century BCE, the ancient Suhrabians referred to the nation as Aranu, and the nearby Afropans called them Arauni. The Sahrabic name "Ari" comes from "Aruin".
- Uru-anna. Other experts have suggested that Orioni originated from the Hakadian Uru-anna, "the light of heaven", the name then passing into Aroman mythology as Ὠρίωνί.
- Urania. The most distinctively Western Oriental title is Urania, the Semitic "queen of the heavens". This reference to a lunar goddess probably signifies "she whose seat is in heaven", from which she exercises her sway over the known world—earth, sea, and air alike.
- Urin. The Alemmanic languages follow a different approach, pronouncing the name as "Urin". This is short for "Urinsel", a compound of ur- "original" and Insel "island". This linguistic term denotes the hypothesised prehistorical homeland of some Alemmanic clans.
- Hariwini. Another Alemmanic source claims the name originated from Hariwini, composed of the elements hari "respected" and win "friend".
- Porane(k). The Salvic languages use the word porane(k) to describe the morning. In Salvic mythology, Porane is a guardian goddess who opens the gates each morning so that the San may begin its journey. She is a patroness of horses, protection, healing, and the planet Venus.
<imgur thumb="yes" w="250" comment="Physical map of Orioni.">d9VsNyX.jpg</imgur>
Orioni is an island nation in the east of Europa, separated from the Europan mainland by the Tethys Sea; south of Ide Jima, separated by the Rosario Sea; and north of Niederoestereich, separated by the Azure Sea. The closest neighbouring country to Orioni is the Tamurin republic westward across the Roavia Strait.
The main island is also the "Home Island". This island is divided into three parts: western Alnitak where the majority of the Orinese population lives, central Alnilam is dominated by the Oromiyaa massif and plateau, and northeastern Almintaka forms a sparsely inhabited nature preserve. Besides the main island, there are also 430 smaller islands, of which the larger ones are being inhabited and others remain uninhabited.
- Continental shelf: 200 m depth or to the depth of exploitation
- Territorial sea: 12 nautical miles (22,2 km or 13,8 mi)
- Exclusive economic zone: 200 nautical miles (370 km or 230 mi)
About 53% of Orioni is forested, mountainous and unsuitable for agricultural, industrial, or residential use. Hill country of over 500 m above sea-level dominates the home island, and in some other elevated regions even 2000 m. Coastal areas contain the habitable zones and have high population densities. As a result, Orioni is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.
<imgur thumb="yes" w="250" comment="Part of the Owara canal.">HiAxmtQ.jpg</imgur>
The western part of the country contains temperate forestland and rolling hills, with a strong agricultural imprint on the northern plains and along the Firigirigi river. The Wenizi river flows through the western part of the country, it's origin located somewhere in the high mountains of towards the east. The artificial Owara canal connects the Wenizi with the Firigirigi, enabling shipping to multiple parts of this western region. The canal was built in 1671 by decree of Empress Owara and modernised in around 1900. Between 1895 and 1904, the army engineers enlarged the Owara canal to 25 metres (82 feet) wide and 3 metres (9.8 feet) deep. Empress $name expanded the canal again to 40 metres (130 feet) wide and 4.5 metres (14.8 feet) deep through mountainous rocky terrain.
In the east and south, along the shores of the Azure Sea, are extensive and densely populated alluvial plains of the Wenizi and the Caroni river, combined with lower mountain ranges in the Zinabi valley to the east. This fertile valley in the southeastern part of the country is curtailed by the Dayonisesi mountains, a mountain range that forms an enclosing arc, and also contains the countries highest point, Mount Oromis at 4802 m.
The northeastern region of Orioni consists of elevated highlands call the Oromiyaa massif and plateau.
Orioni has a tropical maritime climate that is usually hot and humid. There are three seasons: the hot dry season or summer from March to May; the rainy season from June to November; and the cool dry season from December to February. Temperate easterly winds and southern ocean currents ensure warm summers and very mild winters. Seasons vary per region, with the south being warmer compared to the rainy west and subtropical north. Temperatures usually range from 21 °C (70 °F) to 32 °C (90 °F) although it can get cooler or hotter depending on the season. The coolest month is January; the warmest is May.
The average yearly temperature is around 26.6 °C (79.9 °F). In considering temperature, location in terms of latitude and longitude is not a significant factor. Whether in the extreme north, south, east, or west of the country, temperatures at sea level are in the same range. Altitude usually has more of an impact. The average annual temperature on the Oromiyaa massif and plateau at an elevation of 1,500 meters (4,900 ft) above sea level is 18.3 °C (64.9 °F), making it a popular destination during hot summers.
Fauna and flora
The pink dolphin (Inia geoffrensis), which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling rivers, is the nation's national animal. They are solitary animals and live primarily in the southern river systems of the Wenizi and Caroni. Pink dolphins are unique among dolphins for having molar-like teeth and can chew their prey. Diet of Orioni river dolphins comprises fish, shrimps and crabs. They also eat piranhas and turtles. Pink dolphins are true carnivores (meat-eaters). Pink dolphins can move from rivers to ponds and lakes during the rainy season (when rivers flood). Some pink dolphins are actually very rare albinos. Albino dolphins can appear pink instead of white because of the blood vessels under their skin.
The southeastern mountain flanks enjoy a nice climate that allows for vineyards to grow. Lush broad-leaved trees in the northern forest. These lush green giants cover most of the country.
The head of state has always been a member of the imperial family. Leadership passes on via matriarchal blood ties: it’s inherited from mother to daughter, sister or niece. Note that the empress does not always have to die to pass on the title; old age or illness are also reasons. For as long as Orioni existed, there has always been a woman to lead them. The empress receives the honorary title of “Orioni”, representing a personification of the entire country by a single person. The current monarch came to power at a rather young age because of the sudden and unexpected death of her mother on March 1st, 2003. Since then, the young royal had a turbulent time learning to balance on the ropes of the international scene.
The government is organised into three significant levels: national (imperial), provincial (Oharic: Kifile), and municipal (Oharic: Kibite). Elections happen every 5 years for each of these levels of government. Provincial autonomy is extensive. The Imperial level takes command of most international affairs such as defence, commerce and foreign affairs.
The government comprises three branches of government. These three branches apply checks and balances on each other.
- Legislative branch. The Sibiseba (Anglish: Assembly) serves as the legislative body of the Orioni Empire. It is a unicameral system. The Sibiseba exists as the peacekeeping body between the different provinces within the Empire. The Sibiseba votes on provincial disputes brought before it based on what is best for the whole population. During the 19th century, the Sibiseba's powers came to include all important matters of state, including its representation in international organisations, declarations of war against an enemy, and offering military and technological aid to an ally. Each Sibisebali represents a single constituency within the empire. Sibisebali serve a four-year term. The number of constituencies is re-evaluated before each election, thus altering the number of Sibisebali every four years. The 1923 Constitution instituted the membership by right (senator de drept) in the Sibiseba for: the heir to the throne; heads of state-recognised religious bodies; the president of the Andro Academy; former chairpersons of the Imperial Council; former councillors with at least five years’ seniority; former judges of the Palace of Justice; retired generals.
<imgur thumb="yes" w="200" comment="Chairlady Chandra Pristo.">hSHcLEJb.jpg</imgur>
- Executive branch. The Imperial Council (Oharic: Memakiriti) holds imperium, "the power to rule", and is the ruling body of the executive branch. The council informs the Monarch on policy matters. The council comprises twelve councillors, chaired by 1 chairperson, and divided over three topical sub-councils. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of O'polis. After each election, the winning parties form a coalition government and appoint an executive cabinet. Chairlady of the Council is Dr. Chandra Pristo. She is a former anthropology professor and leader of the SP.o, the largest political party.
- Judicial branch. The highest court is the Palace of Justice, which comprises twelve justices. The court deals with imperial and constitutional matters and can declare legislation or executive action made at any level of the government as unconstitutional, nullifying the law and creating a precedent for future law and decisions. Below the Palace of Justice are the Halls of Justice, and below them are the Houses of Justice, which are the general trial courts of law. The judicial branch organises on a scale equal to the three levels of government (imperial, provincial, municipal).
The legislative branch of government comprises many political parties, be they centrist, progressive, conservative, nationalist or other. These parties form coalition governments. Although very rare, a minority government is possible if election results make a majority coalition impossible. More often, a minority government forms when one of the council’s coalition partners withdraws its support, or when all councillors of a council party resign. In these cases, the Chairperson offers the full council’s resignation to the Monarch. The Empress may dissolve the Sibiseba and hold a general election. If the Empress does not dissolve the Sibiseba, the remaining cabinet continues as a minority cabinet, in full possession of its powers.
<imgur thumb="yes" w="200" comment="Sir Andrew Pipkin.">jvKRpK2.jpg</imgur>
Sir Andrew Pipkin, councillor of foreign affairs, leads the diplomatic efforts of the Empire. Chairlady Chandra Pristo, in agreement with Empress Orioni, appointed Sir Pipkin in April 2006. The appointment received great support throughout the Empire. Although confined to his a wheelchair since the Great Pot Wars of 2004, the former ambassador to Vanarambaion proved with confidence how his disability does not prevent him from doing his job, thanks in part to his aide and lifelong friend Lou Todd.
One of his first major achievements was the establishment of the Entente of Oriental States (EOS) in June 2006. The following is an excerpt from the speech he gave on that day.
"I am honoured to be here with you at the official signing of this grandest alliance. It is the sincere wish of the Orinese peoples that the founding of EOS will bring peace and prosperity to the entire region in general, and the eastern part of Europa in particular. [...] This entente serves not only a military purpose. True, one of the strongest pillars of EOS will be its aim for better security, but I know that's something we all wish and strive for. There are so many other benefits besides security. Think, for example, of the benefits people will have when they no longer have to wait for hours to get their passport checked when travelling abroad. And the research into outer space will also receive a major boost, with the allied funding of our very own space program. [...] Let us rejoice here and today about this great achievement. [...] Long live peace! Long live prosperity! Long live EOS!"
(WIP: Table with foreign relations like Onza does. http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Onza#International_Relations )
<imgur thumb="yes" w="200" comment="Ahold Bruiser.">Ie8UHCd.jpg</imgur> The military doctrine of Orioni puts great emphasis on naval superiority in home waters and providing escorts for commerce vessels which are the lifeline of the island nation. The navy and army have a higher priority while the air force has only a secondary role. Overall strategic military command rests with the Imperial Orioni Command Centre (IOCC) based northeast of the capital O'polis. After years of costly military build-up, the military now has a state of readiness capable of responding to all threats, both foreign and domestic.
Ahold Bruiser, Supreme Commander (SC) of the Imperial Orioni Defence Force (IODF), is the senior officer leading the entire armed forces of Orioni, subordinate only to the Empress. Bruiser entered the national spotlight after his involvement in the Great Pot Wars of 2004. He is a member of the Council of Defence, and a such helped to create the Orioni Special Reconnaissance Unit (OSRU), a unit to "meet the growing need for a special reconnaissance capability" with "a wide range of specialist skills and activities related to covert surveillance." Their missions and interventions remain classified.
The army and special forces are considerable and receive diverse training to deal with the empire's varied geography. One well-known corps is the Oromiyaa Mountain Troops stationed at Tauri Military Base. Orioni's military strength lies in its powerful blue-water navy, comprising 8 fleets. Grand Admiral Mario Ramius is the highest ranking and most senior admiral of the Imperial Navy. Ramius rose to prominence during the conflict with S.S.S.S. in 2004. His final promotion to admiral of the fleet following exemplary leadership during the crisis surrounding Tarragat Island in 2006. The chink in Orioni's armour has always been it's dated airforce. Lacking necessary experience in aerial combat, the empire prefers investing in anti-aircraft weaponry. Peripheral radar and early warning systems based on EOS cooperation have become a key defence strategy.
There are five major military installations throughout Orioni.
- Vega Naval Base (central), the key to ensuring the safety and security of Zuidhaven, is home to the 1st and 2nd fleet.
- Perseus Naval Base (west), by far the largest military installation, is home to the 3rd, 4th and 5th fleet.
- Dion Naval Base (north), protecting the important mining and industrial areas, is home to the 6th and 7th fleet and the Orioni Special Reconnaissance Unit.
- Oris Naval Base (east) is home to the 8th fleet.
- Tauri Military Base (north-east) makes an ideal proving ground thanks to its remote location and is home to the Oromiyaa Mountain Troops.
<imgur thumb="yes" w="250" comment="Regions and provinces of Orioni for the 2019 election.">lJkn50s.png</imgur> The bureaucratic administration of Orioni is divided into four basic levels. Following the Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics (NUTS), these levels are: country, region (NUTS-1), province (NUTS-2), and municipality (LAU). Below the national government, there are 5 regions, further divided into 19 provinces. These regions do not have elected officials, nor are they corporate bodies. But the practice of ordering provinces based on their geographic region is traditional.
- Weriki (central) forms the core of the empire, with its ancient traditions and ageless monuments. It is the geographic location of the first tribes that banded together before politically uniting the entire island.
- Asehayi (east) is geographically similar to the central region, but it is less populous because of the more arid climate. The rough inland geography encourages a more seaward attitude.
- Irisha (west) has always followed a more continental approach, influenced by its proximity to the Europan mainland across the Tethys Sea. It is agriculturally important thanks to the fertile land of the Western Plains.
- Semeni (north) is the most mountainous region, dominated by the Oromiyaa massif and plateau. Rich in minerals, its mining enterprises provide most resources for the nation's industrial activity. The many rivers and coastal roads enhance accessibility, supported by a railroad network along the coast.
- Amilaki (northeast) is the least populous region. Most of the area is part of the Europan Wildlife Reserve established by EOS.
From north to south, the provinces of Orioni and their commonly associated regions are:
|Amilaki region||Semeni region||Irisha region||Asehayi region||Weriki region|
1. Mar province
3. Corona Borealis province
7. Pontus province
12. Tauri province
15. Gruis province
During the 20th century, Orioni claimed numerous neighbouring countries and regions in Europa, Thalassa and Marenesia were "lost provinces" of Orioni. Many of these "lost provinces" were under the rule of Imperial Orinese dynasties or were former tributary states. Empress $name claimed in $year that these provinces were lost because of unequal treaties, forceful occupation and annexation, and foreign interference. These former provinces include Rohini, Burkini, the outlying islands of Miiros.
A modernised nation, the Orioni home island contains several large cities, predominantly developed along coastal areas of the nation and especially on the Southern Coast. Orioni's largest city is Zuidhaven, which hosts a population of 10.075.310 persons within its limits. The next most populous are the capital city O'polis (5.037.655), Meda (3.358.437), and Vega (2.518.828). Zuidhaven is the bustling commercial and business centre while O'polis is a more serene “cultural capital” rebuilt in the 20th century. Meda, despite being a large city, is isolated geographically.
Largest cities or towns in Orioni
Currently, Orioni has 7 public holidays and 5 "significant cultural holidays" that are not public holidays, although citizens which celebrate these holidays for religious or cultural beliefs can take the time as a holiday.
|1 January||New Year's Day|
|9 January||Europa Day||Founded in 2004|
|day of Vernal equinox||āhuni||First day of spring|
|29 May||Restoration Day||End of Civil War on 29 May 1174|
|day of Summer solstice||Midsummer's Day|
|22 August||Nitoku Day||Final defeat of the Medani Empire by Empress Nintoku.|
|8 December||Empress' Day||If 8 December falls on a Sunday, Empress's Day is celebrated on the 7th.|
|day of Winter solstice||Midwinter's Day|
|24 December||Christmas Eve|
|25 December||Christmas Day|
|26 December||Boxing Day|
|31 December||New Year's Eve|