|This page or section is in the middle of an expansion or major revamping. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.|
The Empire of Thrashia
Motto: Emolior Pacem ab Veritas
Anthem: Imperial March
|Official languages||Galactic Standard|
|Dheinalia Vera Nuruodo|
• Coronation of Emperor Shadaum I
|Currency||Imperial Credit (IC)|
The Empire of Thrashia (pronounced like Thracia) is an interstellar empire with a long and varied history within two galaxies and currently lies within the Beta Quadrant of the Milky Way Galaxy. Though formerly begun on Old Earth, the Thrashian people soon took their futures to the stars, with the help of shared technologies from the Republic of Parlim, an ancient nation that has since disappeared in the history of the galaxy. Upon achieving faster-than-light and extra-galactic capabilities the Thrashian Empire soon left the Milky Way Galaxy to arrive at the Star Wars Galaxy, whereupon it mixed and became intermingled with those peoples therein. After a series of conflicts culminating in a horrific, galaxy-wide Chaos war the Empire decided to once more return to the Milky Way Galaxy. It's future there, once more settling in a galaxy that is unfamiliar to most, seems bright with the recent coronation of a new sovereign; religious piety rises with the embrace of old religions; and the strength of it's arms have been tested upon the anvil of war, strengthened in the fire of battles more horrific than most Beta Quadrant denizens could imagine.
The Empire has settled throughout eleven sectors of space within the trailward edges of the Perseus and Sagittarius Arms. Where once there had been a dozen star systems controlled by a near-independent Imperial Moff, overseeing a large swathe of space via probe droids and occasional patrols; there is now a bristling and bright heart of an Empire. Impromptu-colonists by circumstance, citizens of the Empire have spread out throughout the sectors, bringing civilization and industry to those worlds barren of intelligent life. A number of smaller, alien nations with some technological capability have equally been subsumed within the Empire as client states. The aims of the Empire are currently centered around peace and stability.
- 1 The History of the Empire
- 2 Political System
- 3 Imperial Departments and Organizations
- 3.1 Imperial Foreign Ministry
- 3.2 Imperial Communications Ministry
- 3.3 Imperial Home Security Bureau
- 3.4 Imperial Treasury and Taxation Bureau
- 3.5 Imperial Central Intelligence
- 3.6 Imperial Selective Service Bureau
- 3.7 Imperial Colonial Management Bureau
- 3.8 Imperial Security Bureau
- 3.9 The Imperial Mission
- 4 Imperial Family
- 5 Society and Culture of the Empire
- 6 Religion - The Unifying Force
- 7 Imperial Economy
- 8 Astrography of the Empire
- 9 The Imperial Military
The History of the Empire
When the peoples of the Thrashian Empire first arrived within their new homes within the Star Wars Galaxy they quickly settled within the Outer Rim Territories and along the Braxant Run. The strength and indomitable spirit of the new arrivals was endearing to various other denizens of this new galaxy. The Kuati families of Kuat, high nobles, found kindred spirits among the nobility of the Thrashian Empire.
The empire was founded by an ambitious family known as the House of Shadaum. Living in the Braxant Sector and using the backing of powerful Kuat Drive Yards assets, the House of Shadaum under Augustus Shadaum III conquered that sector and united it with the powerful Kuat Family of Kuat. The great abundance of natural resources which the Braxant sector could provide and the economic vitality of the Kuat sector created a firm foundation for an ambitious young empire.
Very soon however the other families of the new empire could not stomach an emperor even if they directly benefited from the creation of the empire. As such they organized the assassination of the entire House of Shadaum. The royal family's private cruiser had its hyperdrive navigational computer corrupted and when the Emperor Shadaum III attempted to make a hyperspace jump to Kuat System, they instead jumped into the center of a local star. The sabotage was blamed on Coredian rebels and a campaign to stamp them out was shortly carried out. A young commander, aggressive and ambitious, Treize Kushrenada rose to power and ruled.
Emperor Treize's own rule did not last more than a few years before jealous rivals rose up and instigated an assassination plot. In the wake of the emperor's death and his family's a power struggle erupted between the major families in the Braxant Sector. One family rose above the rest due in part to the backing of the Kuat Family and the assistance of a Chiss commander, named in his native tongue Mitth'raw'nuruodo. Lured into Imperial service by the Kuat Family, Commander Thrawn led the forces of the Kaine Family to victory over their opponents and in 30 BPD the empire was once again at peace. Leading the empire now was Regent Ardus Kaine. In return for his services, Commander Thrawn was promoted to Grand Admiral of the Imperial Navy and made its de facto commander in chief. With the promise of being free to use his resources as he saw fit and shape the Imperial Military accordingly, Thrawn was more than willing to cooperate.
By machinations that came to bear fruit within the last decade, a Sith Lord infiltrated the Thrashian civil government and tried to engineer a civil war within the Empire. The last heir to the Shadaum throne was killed by the Sith. Fortune favored the Empire however and the majority of the military and civilian leadership remained loyal to Regent Kaine.
A decade after the creation of the Thrashian Regency, the galaxy-spanning conflict known as the 'The Great Chaos Incursion' took place. Galactic nations from one end of the galaxy to the other were affected. Even the Regent perished, killed by the vile actions of a surprise Chaos assault upon Bastion. Many Thrashian soldiers died defending the Empire and in the joint-effort to destroy the Chaos threat. The Empire's greatest military leader sacrificed his life to help end that threat, with many tears given after the news that Grand Admiral Thrawn was dead.
In the wake of the changed galactic politics and in order to start afresh, without the baggage of previous entanglements, the Thrashian Empire transferred itself from its old home to the Milky Way Galaxy. Lock, stock, and barrel -- heavy industry, citizens, mineral wealth, and even the construction rings of Kuat itself were hauled away and into the Expanse Gate. A new home now lies ahead, a new life, within the Beta Quadrant of the Milky Way Galaxy. And now, more than ever, the Thrashian people are driven to succeed and carve for themselves a home. To commemorate this new change the daughter of the former regent and widow of the grand admiral, Dheinelia Vera Nuruodo, was crowned Empress -- the first monarch to rule the Empire in over three decades.
"Few understand what it means to be an empire. Few understand why it is that we serve one being above others. They do not comprehend our culture, ancient and preserved as it is. For a Thrashian, service to the Empire is service to oneself. All as one and one as all. Within that we may shape out individual destinies and help to create a stronger, unified Empire."
Grand Moff Noventa
Commencement Speech of the Declaration of the New Empire
At it's bedrock the ideology of the Thrashian Empire arose as a result of the failures of corrupt republics and democracies (in particular the usage of "everyone is right" democracies), which were decentralized and often found ineffectual in resolving disputes between its more powerful factions. The rule of and by empire was championed as a strong unifying solution to this problem. It criticized the perceived decadence and weakness of democracies, and advocated an authoritarian and militaristic social and political culture. It promised to trade frailty for strength, chaos for order, and uncertainty for decisiveness.
Thrashian Virtues, or ideals of behavior, are encapsulated in how it's citizens conduct themselves in social and personal life. These core virtues are: good faith, innocence, resolve, honour, duty, justice, restraint, and purity.
Social Virtues: Honorable, act in good faith, be selfless, and just. Take moral actions; have pride in oneself and people; protect one's reputation; display humanity; be reliable; express gratefulness; be loyal; be generous; simplicity is to be desired; be incorruptible; be charitable; embrace order and fairness; be responsible; and at all times remember empathy.
Personal Virtues: Self-Discipline, wholesomeness, dutiful, and resolute. Remember restraint; be modest; be merciful; be economical; retain your sense of morality; be healthy; retain dignity; be truthful; remember to be respectful; endeavor to be industrious; be dedicated; build your endurance; build and encourage your perseverance; remember courage at all times.
The Imperial Constitution of Thrashia
The powers of the Emperor or Empress of Thrashia are as follows:
- (I) The Emperor or Empress of Thrashia may appoint any being worthy to the post of planetary governor, system governor, or sector governor - hereforeto referred to as Moff - and may appoint whatever deputies the Emperor or Empress believes necessary to help in the assistance of those posts.
- (II) The Emperor or Empress of Thrashia may veto any decision made by the Imperial Moff Council, and strike down any law made by the Imperial Moff Council, so long as the passage of such a decision or law was not unanimous.
- (III) The Emperor or Empress of Thrashia is the Head of State of the Thrashian Empire. Domestic legislatures allowed under law are under the Emperor or Empress's jurisdiction.
- (IV) The position of Emperor or Empress of Thrashia is hereditary.
- (V) The Emperor or Empress of Thrashia has the power to remove any Moff or Grand Moff from their position if they are deemed unfit and three-fourths of the Imperial Mof Council agree with the removal.
- (VI) The Emperor of Empress of Thrashia has the power to freeze and/or seize all assets, personal and public, of an individual, company, organization, or congolomerate if they are found in violation of Imperial Law, Decrees, or Diktats.
The powers of the Imperial Moff Council are as follows:
- (I) The Head of the Imperial Moff Council is appointed by the Emperor or Empress of Thrashia.
- (II) The number of members of the Imperial Moff Council shall never exceed sixteen, nor be fewer than seven. Unless a quorom is formed, no decision made in the name of the Moff Council will be legal.
- (III) The Imperial Moff Council is responsible for overseeing the foreign policy of the Thrashian Empire.
- (IV) The Imperial Moff Council is responsible for conducting and overseeing all foreign trade missions and policies.
- (V) The Head of the Imperial Moff Council is the Head of Government of the Thrashian Empire.
- (VI) The Imperial Moff Council is responsible for recommending a Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Military for confirmation and approval by the Imperial Throne. This Commander-in-Chief shall have a voting seat at the Imperial Moff Council. The Commander-in-Chief has the authority to act in accordance to the necessities of war and defense of the Empire.
- (VII) The Imperial Army and Imperial Navy both have non-voting seats at the Imperial Moff Council. Their seats do not count towards the creation of a quorom.
The delegated responsibilities of the Imperial Moff Council are as follows:
- (I) The Imperial Moff Council has the power to tax, borrow, pay debt and provide for the common defense and the general welfare; to regulate commerce, bankruptcies, and coin money. To regulate internal affairs, it has the power to regulate and govern military forces and militias, suppress insurrections and repel invasions. It also has the authority to empower created agencies to oversee the responsibilities and duties stated herein.
- (II) Imperial Planetary Governors and System Governors are to oversee and enforce the Imperial Laws for naturalization, standards of weights and measures, public communications and roads, and patents; to directly govern the Imperial district and cessions of land by the territories for forts and arsenals; and be held responsible for their actions and yearly reports to the Imperial Moff Council.
- (III) All Imperial Moffs have the power to punish piracy and similar offenses in violation of Imperial Law.
- (IV) The Imperial Moff Council has the power to declare war and make rules of war.
- (V) In the event that there are no heirs to the Imperial throne, the Imperial Moff Council will act as a Regency. By popular will of the Imperial citizenry, and endorsement from at least one Imperial Moff Council voting member, a new Emperor or Empress may be chosen to assume the Imperial throne.
- (VI) The Imperial Moff Council has the power to amend and add to this assemblage of laws, after each being reviewed and approved by the Imperial Throne.
The rights of Imperial citizen beings are as follows:
- (I) Imperial Citizens are guaranteed the right to freedoms of speech, religion, privacy, education, clean food and water, assembly, and the pursuit of happiness.
- (II) Imperial Citizens are required to register with the Imperial Selective Service Bureau upon reaching the age of 18 years. Once registered, choices will be given for them to choose how best to serve the Empire through the Selective Service Program for a period of no greater than three years and be paid adequately for the work provided in service.
- (III) Imperial Citizens have the right to request an audience with the Emperor or Empress of the Empire of Thrashia.
- (IV) Imperial Citizens are required to obey all laws and regulations as dictated in Imperial Law.
- (V) Imperial Citizens shall not have their rights and privileges infringed upon unless it is of the utmost and vital urgency to infringe upon them in the need of protecting the Empire.
- (VI) Imperial Citizens shall not be discriminated against for any personal creed they may choose to believe in or follow.
- (VII) Imperial Citizens are guaranteed the right to monetary and medical assistance, free of charge or debt, upon reaching the age of 60 years.
- (VIII) Imperial Citizens are guaranteed the right to a trial by magistrate, judge, or jury at their request and choice.
Imperial Law Codes
Thrashian Imperial Law is codified by a number of infraction classifications. Depending on the severity of crimes a criminal has committed, it is possible for punishment to vary wildly. Imperial Judges are also empowered to adjust punishment to fit a crime, within what some refer to as 'Common Law'.
Class C Infractions
- Vandalism of Imperial property
- Ownership or possession of illegal weapons
- Criminal dereliction of duty
- Slander or libel towards Imperial programs, personnel or products
Consequences: Arrest, a fine equivalent to 1-6 months' salary, demotion, or possible three months to five years assignment to a labor colony.
Class B Infractions
- Embezzlement of sums not exceeding 10,000 credits
- Conspiracy against the Empire
- Credit fraud
- Misuse of Imperial registered copyrights or registered symbols
- Transportation of illegal weapons within the Empire
- Promoting unsanctioned unionization
- Theft of property from a private citizen
- Assault against a private citizen
- Willful destruction of Imperial Government property
Consequences: Arrest, possible 5-20 years assignment to a labor colony, fine equivalent to 1-3 years' salary.
Class A Infractions
- Industrial sabotage against the Empire of Thrashia
- Embezzlement of sums exceeding 10,000 credits
- Acts of terrorism against the Empire
- Piracy of proprietary Imperial materials and information
- Violation of Imperial ship weapon and personal weapon codes
Consequences: Arrest, permanent exile from the Empire, possible life assignment to a labor colony, revocation and forfeiture of all monetary assets. Possible execution.
Imperial Departments and Organizations
There are various departments, agencies, and organizations that together make up the working organs of the Imperial government. Besides the Imperial Household, which oversees the needs of the Imperial Family, every other department or organization answers to the Imperial Moff Council which acts as the senior ruling committee for day-to-day affairs.
Imperial Foreign Ministry
Headed by Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod (appointment date 12YBCE), the Imperial Foreign Ministry is responsible for overseeing all contact between the Empire and foreign polities, whether they be interstellar nations or local, planet-bound pre-stellar civilizations. It is also the responsibility of the Foreign Ministry to oversee the client-states that exist within the borders of the Empire. Should any client-state try to break-away violently or have an internal civil war happen, it would be seen as a large failure on the part of the Foreign Ministry. As such the Foreign Ministry takes extreme efforts to maintain dialogue and peaceful talks between factions within client-states, as well as fend off influence from foreign actors -- though these cases are often handed off to the Imperial Security Bureau.
Within the Foreign Ministry there are various ranks to which a member of the Ministry may strive to attain.
- Foreign Minister
- Assistant Foreign Minister
- Secretary General
- Deputy Secretary General
- Counselor of Affairs (Departmental Head)
- Assistant Attaché
- First Secretary
- Second Secretary
- Third Secretary
Special Offices At need a special assignment will be assigned to a senior member of the Foreign Ministry, given plenipotentiary powers, and declared an Ambassador-at-Large; sometimes referred to as a Special Ambassador.
Imperial Communications Ministry
Overseen by Director Ivan Vilnius (appointment date 5YBCE), the ICM is responsible for overseeing the Imperial HoloNet and all public broadcasting services. Because the HoloNet is the all-encompassing agency for information searching, entertainment, and news within the Empire it is also one of the most well known Imperial ministries. Technicians within the ministry are often held in high regard, especially by common citizens who rely on them to fix and repair faulty HoloNet transceivers and other telecommunication nodes. The vast information network is constantly being used, with an average of sixty-three hundred billion users on any given day. The Imperial Military utilizes the HoloNet via secure and isolated channels, making the ICM vital for the Empire's military interests and security procedures. A close relationship between the ICM and the ISB exists, almost from the get-go.
- Vice Director
- General Affairs Manager
- Secretary of General Affairs
- Section Chief
- Senior Programmer
- Senior Technician
- Junior Technician
- Entrant Technician
Imperial Home Security Bureau
Headed by Moff Derrick Javin (pending confirmation), the Home Security Bureau is basically a military formation that has been turned over for police action within the Imperial capitol system. The HSB has a wide mandate of authority to ensure the security of the Imperial capitol. Troopers are drawn from the ranks of the Stormtrooper Corp, Clonetrooper Legions, and other services of the Imperial Military.
Due to their mandate the HSB often clashes over jurisdiction with the ISB, creating competition between the agencies. So long as such conflict does not degrade the effectiveness of either department, then such flare ups is ignored. Effectively speaking the HSB has authority to stop and question any being on New Bastion, apprehend suspects or beings of interest, raid private residences or businesses without warrant, and to execute any being that fires upon agents of HSB during the course of their duties. HSB agents often wear distinctive stormtrooper armor, but with Imperial Red markings, denoting their status as guardians of the Imperial capitol. There are roughly three corps sized units that make up the organization beneath Moff Javin, each commanded by a Capital Brigadier; numbering just under a hundred thousand personnel.
- Capital Brigadier
- Capital Colonel
- Capital Major
- Capital Captain
- Capital Lieutenant
- Master Sergeant
Imperial Treasury and Taxation Bureau
Managed by Director Josef Vetzer (pending confirmation) the Imperial Treasury and Taxation Bureau (TTB) is responsible for overseeing the Empire's budget, creating and executing economic policy, and handling the Empire's public finances. Within the TTB are two sub-agencies: the Imperial Treasury, Imperial Customs, and the Imperial Collection Agency. The Imperial Treasury handles the day-to-day public finances, revenue gathering, and any necessary auditing. It's agents and agency employees are held to a very high standard and suitably well paid as such. The need to maintain a clean record of service is paramount, since graft of any kind is severely punished.
The Imperial Customs Agency is responsible for ensuring imports and exports that traveled through Imperial Space were legal and complied with Imperial laws and regulations. While it monitored exports and imports through Imperial Space, it also makes sure that corresponding taxes and tariffs are collected. In that capacity, Imperial Customs engages legitimate independent spacers and large-scale freight haulers, smugglers, arms runners, spice traders, anyone without proper identification signals and other criminals engaged in the movement and sale of illegal substances. Customs also helped against pirates and participated in search and rescue operations.
The Imperial Collection Agency is responsible for the collection of revenues from taxes and fines. They often work in concert with the anti-fraud divisions of other agencies to ensure that no violations of Imperial Tax Law are violated. They often turn over suspects to the ISB after apprehending them.
Imperial Central Intelligence
Currently being overseen by Moff Josef Kaine (appointment date 1YBCE), as the Director of Imperial Intelligence, and cousin to the Empress, the Imperial Central Intelligence is an agency responsible for collating and organizing all of the information achieved by every intelligence agency in the Empire. ICI is made of central bureaus, themselves divided into divisions, and with various other units and operations in addition to the central bureaus. It is responsible for not only spying and observing foreign nations, but also upon itself and other governmental bureaus.
Agencies and Bureaus Beneath Central Intelligence
- Imperial Naval Intelligence
- Imperial Army Intelligence
- Sector Intelligence Bureau
- Central Analysis Bureau
- Internal Affairs Bureau
- Operations Bureau
Imperial Selective Service Bureau
Director Jason Ezak (pending confirmation), oversees the ISSB, one of the largest public Imperial organizations in the Empire. The Imperial Selective Service Bureau is responsible for overseeing the Selective Service Program which all young citizens of the Empire are required to join upon turning 18 years of age, or coming of age as according to a species' understanding. Young citizens enter the SSP and are given a plethora of choices by which they may help provide service to their fellow citizens and the Empire at large. Their terms of service last for three years and they are provided food and lodgings, as well as payment. It is, in effect, a paid internship program.
Imperial Medical Outreach
- Citizens that join the IMO join to learn how to provide all basic medical emergency treatment, how to operate emergency medical vehicles and machinery, and are assigned to an Imperial Clinic where they serve out their selective service aiding those citizens that need help. Those citizens that show aptitude for medical knowledge and treatment are given access to advanced training and are given the chance to study further to become nurses and doctors later in life, with guaranteed job placement after completion of studies.
Imperial Construction Cooperative
- For those that have a desire for more physical labor, the ICC there for them. Whether it be learning how to construct a home on a colony world using a molecular assembler, or learning how to program and artistically use KDY-patented construction nanobots for anything between a home to the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer; there's something for everyone. ICC even has retrograde programs for those that wish to use their literal hands to hold ancient model hammers and tools -- these often being used by ICC teams that are sent to worlds where technology has not yet progressed enough for the local populace to easily accept better technology (as determined by the Foreign Ministry). Those individuals that wish to can apply for jobs within a field that they've gained experience with, even with retro-being interaction within the Foreign Ministry. Kuat Drive Yards is always looking for new talent.
- A program designed for those with a penchant for advanced microbiology, biochemistry, anatomy, molecular biology; with a side of the latest programming languages, the BTF is there for you. BTF offers intensive courses for applicants seeking to gain certification in advanced bio-technical fields of science and medical. The creative minds that join this program are the future researchers that will find new applications for molecular nanotech and more. Those that join the BTF and pass certification are guaranteed a position at the Imperial Polytechnic Research and Development Institute (IPRADI).
Mercantile Spacers Association
- The MSG is an older organization that agreed to join the Selective Service program in return for extra funding for it's continued existence. It was being left rundown due to a lack of membership in the face of larger corporations disallowing their employees to join. However, the SSP felt that it was a waste of useful knowledge and experience. Citizens that join the MSG are given the opportunity to live and work aboard a cargo and freight vessel. Astrography navigation, piloting, and basic mechanical skills are the hallmarks of what SSP members learn when they join the MSG.
Imperial Colonial Scouts
- The Colonial Scouts are a paramilitary program that is run and managed by the Imperial Military. Those citizens that did not join the Imperial Academy after finishing their standard education, and instead join the Selective Service Program, have a second chance to serve. The Imperial Scouts are considered to be a policing force, taught basic combat tactics and techniques, intercommunication skills, public management and interfacing, and emergency survival training. The majority of Colonial Scouts are, as their name indicates, stationed on colony worlds. There they form a militia, protecting the colonials from local beasts and fauna as well as interloping pirates or reavers. Those Scouts that show an aptitude and wish to continue their military training are brought into an advanced course within the Imperial Academy. Those Scouts that do not wish to join the military but enjoy protecting the Empire's citizens are given the chance to join planetary or sector police forces. The Imperial Security Bureau has been known to offer jobs to uniquely talented Scouts.
Imperial Bureau of Personnel Coordination
- One of the more nondescript organizations, and yet nearly the largest, is the IBPC. Selective Service members that join this particular organization are trained to understand and help run the sprawling bureaucracy that helps to keep the Imperial government running smoothly. Most often these young people act as assistants in practically any and all levels of the Empire's governmental bureaucracy. Talented members are scouted by Sector Governor's offices, various ministries, and even private corporations and organizations that interact with the Empire's bureaucracy on a daily basis. While it is not exactly seen as being glamorous, it does provide a relatively easier path toward higher levels of authority and government by being noticed for one's talents by the right people.
Imperial Conservation and Research Society
- A smaller, though dedicated, group is the ICRS. The Society was barely given certification to become part of the Selective Service Program, but it was given a vote of confidence by the Empress herself. Conservationists are primarily dedicated toward the preservation of knowledge and researching for historical facts. The public libraries and archives of the Empire are all run and managed by the ICRS. Fact finding expeditions to worlds where ancient ruins or civilizations may have existed are the bread and butter fieldwork for the Society. Most of the SSP members that complete their service within the ICRS go on to become professors, teachers, or professional researchers -- some of whom are utilized by numerous different ministries and bureaus. (An unspoken rule within ICRS is to avoid wearing old-Earth hats known as 'Fedoras' or leather jackets.)
Imperial Colonial Management Bureau
Overseeing the task of galactic resettlement is Director Edmund Alvarue (appointment 02-12-01 NIE), head of the newly formed ICMB. The Colonial Bureau, as it's colloquially known, has been created to help organize the resettlement of the Empire within it's new home galaxy. It was created around a cadre of officers and technicians from the Imperial Survey Corps which had helped to map and explore the Beta Quadrant prior to the arrival of the citizen armadas that would follow. Working from the trove of data that was collected over three decades, the Colonial Bureau is able to give priority concerns to those citizens seeking worlds similar to the ones that were abandoned in the other galaxy. The Colonial Bureau is also making itself, and the Empire, a steady profit, by selling entire star systems to industrial and mining concerns that wish to tap into the wealth of this new galaxy and the sectors that now make up the Empire.
Imperial Security Bureau
Though connected to Imperial Central Intelligence, the ISB is wholly focused upon internal security and law enforcement. Every sector has an ISB Sector Headquarters from which it operates, connected downwards to the sub-sector, system, and then planetary levels. Nearly all law enforcement agencies that operate under Imperial Law are, in one form or another, a deputized force beneath the aegis of the ISB. Due to the nature of it's responsibilities ISB does have a certain distasteful reputation, although most citizens consider it a small price to pay in comparison to the dangers that might arise if ISB were not as rigorous in the execution of its duties.
ISB agents are often given clearance to perform a number of duties and actions that are not normally permitted any agent of the Thrashian government under Imperial Law. A special enablement action is required by the senior members of the Imperial Moff Council. Every black, off the books, operation requires their special authorization before the operation is allowed to take place. Should an ISB agent be found in dereliction of his or her duty, or found to be operating beyond the bounds of their authorized authority, they are punished beyond the full extent of the law. While they are dealt with as traitors to the Empire, the method of their imprisonment or execution is left to the Internal Affairs Division of the ISB; for it is they who watch the watchers.
While the Imperial Knights, the organization of Force users dedicated to protecting the Imperial Family, are often the visible mailed fist protecting the Empress, ISB is also responsible. A special team of agents monitors the movement of the Imperial Family at all times - round the clock surveillance and protection. Some of these efforts have foiled various plots before they have even formulated. It has never been reliably confirmed within the public domain, but it is often believed that the ISB hires rogue or criminal slicers to help create HoloNet monitor programs of the highest sophistication and subtlety. While normal communications are already logged, scanned, and reported as necessary, these special algorithms look for things much deeper.
The symbol of the ISB, a red carmine shield around the normal Imperial Crest, is the embodiment of the ISB's mindset: to be the thin blood line between chaos and the Empire.
The Imperial Mission
Devotion and service, above all.
Lead by the aged and beloved Moff Ivrik Leander (appointment date 25YBCE), the Imperial Mission is the most altruistic and philanthropic organization within the Empire. Though it is technically part of the Imperial government, it's operations extend far outside normal realms of government aid. Practically every aid organization that has ever been created was subsumed beneath the Imperial Mission. It was created by Emperor Treize Kushrenada over forty years ago, with the intent of spreading Imperial influence through the use of food, medical, and monetary support for the least fortunate beings of the galaxy. Those Imperial citizens who join are known simply as 'Missionaries,' and are exempt from normal Imperial taxes; but in return a Missionary must forgo all personal assets and titles that they may bear. The most famous example of which was when the newly appointed Baron Hakron VII gave up his entire fortune to the Imperial Mission and joined the organization -- thereby ending a barony lineage that had been passed down for nearly a century.
The main operations of the Imperial Mission deal with sending medical and food supply expeditions beyond the Empire's borders, seeking to find and aid those in need. These missions operate craft that are without weapons and the Missionaries and team members are always unarmed, as to take on the life of the Missionary is to accept the life of a pacifist. Using astrographic maps produced by the Imperial Survey Corps, the Missionary expeditions often aid those planets that have been subject to attack by the recent, so called, 'Great Displacement'. Thus far the Imperial Mission has helped to stem the tide of loss on over three dozen worlds across multiple systems, and the efforts have no ceased.
Empress Dheinalia Vera Nuruodo is the current ruler of the Empire. She is the daughter of the deceased former Regent, Ardus Kaine, who was once a grand moff of the Empire and helped to keep the empire from fragmenting in the wake of the assassination of Emperor Treize Kushrenada. At the age of 14 she graduated from the Junior Imperial Academy and won a prized place at the Central Academy of Advanced Sciences on Bastion. It was noted in the local HoloNet news coverage of the event that the young woman had been adamant that she only be accepted if her skills matched the requirements for entry, and was near violently opposed to any supposed nepotism.
After graduating at the top of her class, Dheinalia developed an interest in civil administration. For seven years she worked as an adjutant to Moff Banston Creed within the Braxant Sector, overseeing a dozen different systems. In that position she worked to improve the lives of Imperial citizens, notably being the chief architect for a multi-system youth program that helped poorer families to have a guaranteed education for their children, cost free to them. This program was later expanded and used across the empire.
When she was in her final year as adjutant she met then Admiral Thrawn at a conference on Bastion. The two developed a mutual respect and liking for the other and soon began indulging in a blossoming relationship. She retired early from her post as a Moff's Adjutant and married Mitth'raw'nuruodo in a private ceremony attended only by her father and a few Imperial Navy officers selected as groomsmen by her fiance. The two enjoyed a happy marriage for two years before the death of Grand Admiral Thrawn during the Great Chaos War. Before dying however the two consummated their love and Dheinalia gave birth to a son eight months after Thrawn's death.
Prince Tanaris Ardus Nuruodo, is currently only two years old and growing by the day. The Imperial HoloNet always enjoys chances to gain access to the young prince, as he has many admiring fans among the Imperial citizenry that adore children.
Considered to be highly intelligent, witty, and humorous the Empress has developed a perceived character that is endearing and warm. Personally, she is those things and does take efforts to make sure that the majority of Thrasian citizens prosper, that the Empire is on the road of progress.
The Order of the Imperial Knights
Society and Culture of the Empire
The Empire of Thrashia embraces many nations, peoples, and cultures. All have a voice, but all must abide by the dictates of the Emperor or Empress. The Empire's policies have been characterized by tolerance towards their subject peoples’ beliefs and practices, so long as they adhere to Imperial Law. The ideal of 'law and order' are central to the psyche of the common Thrashian citizen. Service to the state, by any means, is seen as a duty that cannot be shirked; indeed it is only when a citizen is barred from service due to a medical condition that would otherwise keep them from being ostracized by their fellow citizens.
Duty, honor, and courage. The three words by which all Thrashian citizens are raised. "From duty comes honor, from honor one gains courage, and through courage flows duty," an ancient Thrashian motto.
Thrashia, despite being an empire, is highly meritorious. Individuals who show ability and skill are promoted promptly and adequately rewarded for their efforts. Education, seen as a central tenet of any life, is all pervasive and vital toward this effort. All citizens are given free access to the best education that the Empire can provide.
The arts, sciences, and literature are important aspects of Thrashian life. Though somewhat dour in comparison to other, more flamboyant, cultures, Thrashians take great pride and love in stone carving, metal working, and 3-D art. Thrashian public buildings tend to be surrounded by fluted columns, marvelously sculpted statues of heroes, gilded reliefs made from precious metals, or even holographic designs that project within open parks and streets. The written word is highly prized and beloved; no less than five thousand thousand tons of physical texts were brought from the old galaxy to the Beta Quadrant during the Great Migration. Poetry contests are a central pastime for many youths.
Because of their love of science and critical thinking, strategy-based competitive games are a constant within Thrashian life; both digitally, where millions play war games on the HoloNet with their friends, and physically, where many play board games with quaint wooden or metal pieces. The ancient Terran game of Shogi is constantly played at the Imperial Games.
The Thrashian Empire has retained some hallmarks of its past in the form of its official calendar. However, due to the fact that its home galaxy is now once again that which contains Old Earth, there has been a call to return to Terran-standard forms of counting time. As such, the old twelve calendar months have been retained -- at least in name. There are twelve months, each with 32 days.
- Ascension Week
- Carnival Week
- Empire Day
- Empress's Birthday
- Grand Galactic Fair
- Victory Day
- Memorial Day
Physical sports of all types are celebrated and played within the Empire. The most popular are found here and are always played upon the fields of competition during the Ascension Week holiday.
A team sport where there are five players to a side. Two teams compete within a domed obstacle course. Each player wears a pair of specialized gloves that have miniaturized tractor-beam technology within them. Used skillfully, the gloves allow players to handle the shock ball - a metal sphere that emits a not insignificant electrical charge. If the shock ball were to hit a player, it would disable them in a manner similar to a stun bolt fired from a blaster. The teams compete to first gain possession of and then use the shockball to disable all members of the opposite team. Physical contact is allowed, but grappling or disabling strikes of any kind are marked for immediate expulsion from the game. Youths beneath the age of 18 are not allowed to play.
One of the most popular sports in the Empire, so much so that nearly every major capitol ship in the Imperial Navy has one built within its R&R sections, is Grav-Ball. Teams of six equipped with remotely powered hover boots bounced around in a three-dimensional court in an attempt to score goals. Players pushed off walls and floors—and sometimes each other—for movement. The ball is held at the end of a repulsor baton and can be passed from player to player. The sport is taught within the public education system and at the Imperial Academy, as a source of physical exercise. Civilian leagues of varying size also exist, with the largest one, the Bastion Olympiad, drawing hundreds of millions of fans and viewers when broadcast on the HoloNet Sports channel.
A martial art that is taught to every member of the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps, exclusively. Each year a representative of each Stormtrooper Legion is sent to the Imperial Coliseum during Ascension Week to compete before the presence of the Empress herself. The Echani martial art is ritualized and deadly -- with at least one fatality reported each year. The martial art was first developed centuries in the past by a people known as the martial art's namesake, the Echani. The combatants make no use of armor, weapons, or Force techniques, as the art was focused on mastering the body itself as a weapon. (Echani culture held the belief that combat was the only means to truly know someone, a pure form of expression where words were swept away, allowing for action to reveal the true nature of the people involved. Their duels were rituals, and it was important to follow etiquette, for that would allow them to read each others' stance and fight accordingly. In this manner, battle was seen as a form of communication similar to art. Exposing emotions in combat, however, made the duel a personal thing; engaging in repeated sessions was a courtship of sorts, in which one's favors were won through superior fighting prowess.)
The most popular sport in the Empire is undoubtedly Podracing. Each year the Imperial Grand Prix is held and it is not unknown for hundreds of podracers to participate. Each year the course of the race, always fifty-three kilometers long, is different. Obstacles, difficult or deadly terrain, and sometimes even outside interference from competing teams or dangerous biological lifeforms. Life is fast and short for those racers who can't compete. Due to the high speeds of podracing only those beings with the best reflexes have ever competed effectively. Most die. However, the prize is well worth it: advertisers that support the Imperial Grand Prix pool together a cash prize each year of over 10,000,000 credits -- enough that any being could live their life comfortably for the remainder of their years. But not only are the winners given a cash prize, they're often vetted by corporations and companies that hire them for advertising campaigns -- making use of their fame to sell products of all kinds. The games were not held for the past three years, due to the Chaos War and the great migration, but the newest games, the first to be held in the Milky Way, are sure to be one for the millennia.
- Speeder Bike Racing
While it may not be quite as popular as Podracing, Speeder Bike races also have a voracious and avid fan-base. The Imperial Grand Prix also hosts the Speeder Bike championship race. The prize money and glory for victory is not as grand as that given to victors of the podrace, but it's still quite significant. It's not unknown for retired members of the Imperial Military that operated as Imperial Scout Troopers to make use of their old skills by participating in planetary bike races. Various sector leagues exist and are as fiercely competed over as any other major sport.
Thrashian cuisine has changed and morphed quite a great deal since it has incorporated so many varied foodstuffs and styles, thanks to the induction of naturalized citizens that bring their own culture's food, melding and creating a hybrid that eventually becomes recognized as 'Thrashian'. A great deal of food is imported from the New Dornalians, from whom hamburgers and pizza are most readily copied and consumed. The empire-wide Jawa Jaws Cafe franchise has built itself a food empire, selling a cosmopolitan menu of xeno-original dishes and old-timey favorites.
- The Wild Dornalian
A pizza-hamburger combination, where the top and bottom 'bun' of the hamburger is made from miniaturized pizzas. It is often sold with a choice of two or three beef, bantha, rancor, or jerba patties; each of which has a slice of sharp or savory cheese between them. The dish is usually always served with a side of hashed or baked solarian tubers.
- Bantha Steak
Raised and cherished by farmers throughout the Empire is the mighty and docile bantha. A source of textiles thread, milk, and meat banthas are best well known for the succulent meat which they have. Bantha meat has been genetically modified to allow for there to be a near constant 1-to-10 fat ratio, allowing for truly meaty and lean cuts. The average bantha steak weighs in a 4kgs, though it is not unknown for customers to order bantha steak salads, bantha steak-topped pizza, or bantha burgers. Broiled bantha is also commonly used in barbecued bantha or pulled-bantha sandwiches.
- Kuati Zushi
A mix of original Thrashian cuisine, which saw the eating of well prepared and perfectly sliced slivers of raw, delectable fish, came the Kuati Zushi. A local plant that was harvested on Kuat, a green leaf with high antioxidants, that proved to be an excellent mix with raw fish. Traditionally, a grouping of celery and a sliver of bantha cheese is placed within the leaf, the raw fish laid on top, then sesame seeds and a spicy sauce added on top of that; all before being folded over into a bite-sized, enclosed pack of deliciousness.
Religion - The Unifying Force
Faith, spiritual faith, has not often had depth nor a great amount of popularity within the Thrashian Empire. In the far distant past of the Empire's history religious demagogues had wrought much damage and internecine strife within the nation. As such the Empire has been quite non-religious. Census data in the early stellar history of the empire showed that over half the citizen population was atheist, while the other half was majority agnostic. Skepticism has always been the watchword of the general character of your average citizen. But for all of this, throughout the eras, there was one aspect of spirituality that existed and thrived was the idea of the Unifying Force.
While only a few are capable of directly manipulating the universe around them via the powers granted them by the Force, the general population have slowly turned toward an older and sophisticated religion.
According to legend the most ancient race, known simply as the Celestials, were mysterious beings that held the power to shape the galaxy around them as a potter does clay. Stellar phenomenon of wonder and awe existed throughout the galaxy as demonstrations of their hand. According to the Thuruht, the oldest of the gestalt hive mind species known as the Killiks, "the Ones are what the Celestials become." The Ones, as they are known to older religions and spiritualists, resolved into four beings -- living embodiments of the Unifying Force; the Father, the Mother, the Daughter, and the Son. A pantheon. In contrast to these three pillars of peace and balance stands the malign Son, to whom many attribute the cause of Force-users falling to the Dark Side of the Force.
The Unifying Force has the belief that being a good being, passing along goodness to other beings, and receiving goodness in return -- this is it's central tenet. While the Father and Daughter are held in high regard, it is to the Mother that the lion's share of devotion lies within the Church of the Unifying Force. The Mother, sometimes simply referred to as "The Goddess", exists as the bridge of peace between the Son and the Daughter -- unifying their aspects of Dark and Light. The Father exists as Balance, neither wholly one or the other; where the Mother is pure, the Father is a combination of parts. By His power is the Force kept in balance.
The purity of the Mother is what the priestesses of the Unifying Force preach toward. They name their order after her, calling themselves 'the Motherhood'. Selflessness leads to calm, calm leads to clarity, and clarity leads to peace. While the Unifying Force does not preach pacifism, it promotes peacefulness; for where the Mother would heal and seek community, the Father stands sentinel, prepared to bring Balance by the most expedient course.
- Benediction of the Unifying Force
- In life, there is the Force.
- In the Force, there is life.
- The Force is eternal.
- I am eternal in the Force.
- For I am One with the Force,
- And the Force is with me.
- May the Force of Others be with me,
- As it is within you.
The Priestesses of the Unifying Church are known as the Motherhood. To become a priestess is fairly easy, but requires that the woman give up all worldly possessions and become an acolyte. As an acolyte they serve the more senior members of the Motherhood, acting as servants and humbling themselves. Until the day comes that they are given approbation by at least three ordained priestesses that they have served long enough as acolytes, they will not enter the primary ranks of the Motherhood. It may takes years or even decades before one has finally become unified, their conscious self becoming subsumed to the desire to be at peace and in unity with the other members of the Unifying Force.
Overseeing the entire priestess-hood is the current High Priestess, or High Mother, Gelwenil. Born of a Menelmacari mother and a Thrashian father, Gelwenil has served within the Motherhood since she was seven years old. Her desire to join was brought on by the trials and tribulations that she and many like her encountered during the Chaos War.
Known as the The Guardians of the Whills, it is they who are entrusted with the physical protection of the Grand Cathedral and the Motherhood. The Guardians armor themselves in unique armor, white and green and gold colors mixing together. Due to the nature of their mission, to guard the Motherhood and the khyber crystals that lay within the temple grounds, they are trained by the Imperial Military -- and some members of the military even retire early in order to join their ranks. To be a Guardian is an honor and a privilege. Those that join are essentially monks and serve at the pleasure of the High Priestess. They are armed with light-pikes, an extended version of the standard lightsaber. Men and women both may serve within their ranks. Though it is rumored that perhaps one or two of the Guardians have Force powers, it has never been demonstrated. They instead train hard and learn a unique form of martial arts, a mix of Echani and standard lightsaber dueling forms -- taught to them by the Order of Imperial Knights.
At the heart of the Thrashian economy is planetary trade. Intra-planetary trade can support a local economy, but, in many cases, the higher levels of government spending required for an advanced society such as Thrashia's can only be funded by interplanetary exports. While some planets maintain their own shipping fleets, most rely on large freight firms, such as Banston Transport Systems (a firm owned by the Banston Family, to whom Moff Banston is a son to the current patriarch of the business), or independent freight haulers to carry their goods along major hyperlanes. This is further expanded by inter-galactic trade with foreign governments and allied nations.
Droids are an integral part of the Thrashian economy and programmed for a number of uses, including construction, excavation, repair, piloting, maintenance, mining and other labor. The advantages of using such droids were that they could work in inaccessible and dangerous environments that most sentient species could not, as well as not needing pay or other perks sentients would. As such the vast majority of the Imperial workforce consists of droids.
Slavery, or forced labour, is ostensibly outlawed within the domain of Thrashia. However for those individuals who break the law of the Empire but are not sentenced to death, a lesser sentence is usually given. That lesser sentence usually consists of being sent to asteroid mining facilities or other locale where hard labor is not a necessity but a punishment.
To compete in the galactic economy, many planets within Thrashia chose to focus their economy at a planetary level. Planets with a valuable natural resource would focus on its export, while other less fortunate planets would achieve success through economies of planetary scale. Entire planetary surfaces often were devoted to grain fields, droid factories, or mineral mining. These are especially common in those systems governed by pro-Guild moffs and planetary governors.
Other planets, however, (at least in earlier times) voluntarily chose what might be described as deliberate non-specialization. Small-scale sustainable farming was the ideal. Herding and hunting also took place. Concentrating not on mass export but rather on providing for themselves, they were largely dependent on imports to sustain their non-agricultural needs. In some ways these worlds could be thought to rank alongside the more poverty stricken but in reality they served as the perpetual customers for which more developed systems existed to supply, thus creating a constant stimulus for commerce.
Imperial Revenue Codes govern the process of taxation in the Thrashian Empire. Under them, the burden of proof is on the taxpayer (especially for conglomerate corporations); failure to provide adequate proof of having paid taxes is taken as admission of guilt. Penalties range from confiscation of property to imprisonment in labor camps.
Astrography of the Empire
Main Article: Territories of the Thrashian Empire
The Imperial Military
Imperial High Command, also known as Imperial Central Command, High Command, or simply Imperial Command, is the agency responsible for coordinating any war effort, as well as overseeing all branches of the Imperial Military. The Imperial Commander-in-Chief presides over High Command. While it is not exactly customary, the last three commanders-in-chief have been from the Imperial Navy, each holding the rank of Grand Admiral. The High Command is usually composed of the most senior officers from either branch, as well as advisory boards and committees.
The Imperial Army
The oldest branch of the Imperial Military, the Army has stood as a stalwart bastion in defense of the Empire for centuries. It is the largest branch by only a small margin. It is also split between two sub-organizations: the Army Regulars and the Stormtrooper Legions. Regular Army Troopers are recruited from the general populace or from the Imperial Academy graduates that do not have grades impressive enough for different service; they are baseline beings with nothing except the year-long training of the Empire making them what they are. The Stormtrooper Legions are the elite formations, comprised mostly of clones, specifically engineered for war and combat, although regular beings are allowed to join the Legions if they pass the rigorous tests required for admittance.
Main Article: Thrashian Imperial Navy
Though younger than the Imperial Army, the Imperial Navy has come to be seen as the elite arm of the Imperial Military. Imperial Army officers often scoff at their cousins in the Navy believing them, on the whole, to be frail and preferring to polish their boots in the climate-controlled environment of their starships than to getting dirty doing actual military work. However, it is the Imperial Navy that acts as the front line against the enemies of the Empire and the branch of the military that acts as the first line of defense.
According to Fleet Admiral Ishin Koga there are four key functions of the Imperial Navy: blockading spaceports or planets to cripple a planet's ability to fight, bombarding planets to destroy enemy infrastructure, guarding shipping lanes against pirates and smugglers to safeguard commerce as well as frighten criminals into conducting honest trade, and transporting and supporting other branches of the Imperial Military from space and from the air; supplying them with space and aerial support upon disembarkation if necessary.
Imperial Military Research and Technologies
Overseen by Director Jamison Salizar.