Maltropian Islands

Maltropian Viceroyalty of the Islands

Leasríocht Maltróipeach na n-Oileán
Flag of Maltropian Islands
Flag
{{{coat_alt}}}
Coat of arms
Motto: “In ainm Dé”
The Maltropian Islands (dark green) in Maltropia (light green)
The Maltropian Islands (dark green) in Maltropia (light green)
Capital
and largest city
Argensborough
Official languagesIrish, English
Demonym(s)Maltropian Islander, Islander
Country Maltropia
GovernmentHereditary federal constitutional monarchy
• King
Brendan
• Viceroy
Art MacMurrough
LegislatureAssembly of the Islands
Establishment
• First permanent settlement
484
• Earldom of the Isles
1134
• Annexed to Maltropia
1527
• Elevation to Kingdom
1801
Area
• Total
837,751.27 km2 (323,457.57 sq mi)
HDI (2012)0.965
very high
CurrencyMaltropian Ducat (MD€)
Date formatdd/mm/yyyy
Driving sideleft
Calling code674
Internet TLD.mtr

The Maltropian Islands (Irish: na hOileáin Maltróipeacha), officially the Maltropian Viceroyalty of the Islands (Irish: Leasríocht Maltróipeach na n-Oileán), are a crown dominion and constituent nation of the Most Catholic Empire of Maltropia. Their capital is the city of Argensborough, in the principality of Chetwynd.

History

Early settlement

Beehive huts on Inis Reigléasa (Oratory Island), Inis Meala

The earliest known settlers of the Maltropian Islands were hermits who arrived from northwest Maltropia in the sixth century. These monks set up small monastic settlements on the islets of modern-day Inis Meala, only some of which were inhabited year-round. The most northerly hermitage was Teampall Flannáin (Templeflanning), the most southerly island of Helvick. After a series of deaths due to stormy weather, the 844 Synod of Uisneach banned Maltropian monks from establishing hermitages.

Medieval colonisation

Earldom of the Isles