Colony of Sainte-Chloé
Colony of Sainte-Chloé
|Status||Colony of Gaullica|
|Capital||Port de la Sainte|
|Common languages||Gaullican, Chloéois Creole|
|Frederic III (first)|
|Albert IV (last)|
|Jean de Bellecombe (first)|
|Pierre Voloix (last)|
• Port de la Sainte founded
• Great Slave Uprising
• Community of Nations Trusteeship
• United Provinces formed
|Today part of||Sainte-Chloé|
This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
The Colony of Sainte-Chloé (Gaullican: Colonie de Sainte Chloé) was a Gaullican colony from 1507 to 1935 on the island of Sainte-Chloé and the surrounding islands of Sainte-Geneviève and the Sainte Trinité. It was one of the first and most important Gaullican colonies in the Asterias, and was known as the "Gateway to the Asterias" based on its strategic value or "Joyau de l'Arucian" (the "Jewel of the Arucian") for its wealth and beauty.
The island was discovered by Auguste de Antibes in 1498, who gave the island its name, but major Gaullican settlement did not really begin until 1507. The colony was centred around the settlement of Port de la Sainte, the first Euclean city in the Asterias, which functioned as an important staging ground for further Gaullican settlement of the Asterias. The city was located on a protected natural harbor, easily defensible from the sea, and further protected by Gaullican structures such as the Citadelle. In addition to being a strategic base, it also eventually became an important cash crop colony, and was known for the great wealth and prosperity it brought to Gaullica. The colonial system relied heavily on Bahian slaves, who soon became the dominant numbered people on the island. Slavery proved a decisive issue on the island, eventually leading to the unsuccessful Great Slave Uprising in 1829, which lead to the abolition of slavery in 1830.
After the abolition of slavery in 1830, Gaullican colonial policy turned towards the education and Gaullicanization of the colonists, taking such steps as the promotion of the Gaullican language and increased unity with mainland Gaullica. During this time, Gowsa came to the island to act as cheap labour to replace the role the slaves had formerly filled. Sainte-Chloé remained loyal to the Empire throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, until the Great War saw the connexion with Gaullica severed. The colony was placed in the hands of a pro-Grand Alliance elite named Pierre Voloix, who acted as Governor-General and oversaw the transition to democracy while colony was under the Community of Nations mandate known as the Arucian Federation. In 1945, the colony formally came to an end when Sainte-Chloé became a part of the United Provinces in 1945.