Dytika (nuclear test)
|Nuclear weapons testing|
Mushroom cloud of Dytika after detonation
|Date||March 5, 1950 (69 years ago)|
|Device type||Uranium implosion fission reaction|
|Yield||27 kilotons of TNT (~118 TJ)|
Dytika was the first detonation of a nuclear weapon conducted by the Crowned Republic of Mascylla on the island of Jürsand at 11:00 a.m. on March 5, 1950, as part of one of the Great Game's arms races between Mascylla and Hytekojuznia. The testing site was the desolate and uninhabited Jürsand island about 110 kilometres (68 miles) east of Ankstedt, situated in what was then the MGR Jürsand-Kappe Marine Testing and Proving Territory. For the purposes of the test, the Jürsand Proximity Site and three other buildings were built in the vicinity of the blast zone to observe effects of the detonation on the structures and to use them as laboratories for nuclear weapon components.
The test was of an implosion fission reaction uranium device, which was informally nicknamed Ace. The complexity of the design required the efforts of the entire Reichswehr, and concerns about whether it would work led to a decision to conduct the nuclear test afterall. However, the success of the test had foremost priority as Hytekojuznia had already developed a functional nuclear weapon in 1948, and Mascylla's security was regarded endangered by this new technology. The project was overseen by Gerhard Wayner and Prime Minister Ernest Rähner, and the test was principalised and directed by Reinhardt Schmiede. The nuclear weapon was the culmination of crucial scientific reconaissance and intelligence brought about by the efforts of Operation Clearsight.
Dytika released the explosion yield of about 27 kilotons of TNT, exceeding the predicted 22 kilotons, due to unforeseen additional reactions and highly enriched uranium being used. At the time of its detonation, it was the largest artificially generated explosion in history.