An M1891 Nagant at the Randgriz Museum of Arms and Weapons
Sniper rifle (scoped rifles only)
|Place of origin||Kingdom of Liberl|
|Used by||See Users|
|Wars||First Europan War|
Estharian Civil War
Second Europan War
War of Lorican Aggression
Post-War of Lorican Aggression Crisis
|Manufacturer||Tulo, Mineyevka, Manufacture Nationale d'Armes de Vitrolême, Rummington, Harvoren,|
|Weight||4 kg (8.8 lb)|
|Length||1,232 mm (48.5 in) (M91/30)|
1,013 mm (39.9 in) (carbines)
|Barrel length||730 mm (29 in)|
|Cartridge||7.62×54mmR (aka 7.62 Calvardian)|
7.62×53mmR (Balambian variants only)
7.92×57mm Mauser (later variants)
|Rate of fire||Variable|
|Muzzle velocity||Light ball, ~ 865 m/s (2,838 ft/s) rifle|
|Effective firing range||500 m (550 yards), 800+ m (875+ yards with optics)|
|Feed system||5-round non-detachable magazine, loaded individually or with 5-round stripper clips.|
|Sights||Rear: ladder, graduated from 100 m to 2,000 m (M91/30) and from 100 m to 1,000 m (M38); Front: hooded fixed post (drift adjustable) PU 3.5 and PEM scope also mounted|
The M1891 Nagant is a five-shot, bolt-action, internal magazine–fed, military rifle developed from 1882 to 1891, and used by the armed forces of the Kingdom of Liberl, various other nations. It is one of the most mass-produced military bolt-action rifles in history with over 15 million units having been made since its inception in 1891. One of the contributing factors of its worldwide use was that inventor Louis Nagant had sold his design to numerous countries including the Autocratic East Europan Imperial Alliance, the Calvard Republic, Esthar, the Holy Galbadian Empire, Lorica, Remiferia, Aurucolia, and the Militesi Empire.
In spite of its age, it has been used in various conflicts around the world up to the present day. It is primarily found chambered for its original 7.62×54mmR cartridge.
Most Balambian Rifles were assembled by Tulo Arsenal. The use of these expanded onto the Estharian Army following the merge of the Balambian Land Forces and the Estharian Armed Forces in 1935. The Balambian cartridge 7.62×53mmR is a slightly modified variation of the Liberlian 7.62×54mmR, and is considered interchangeable with 54R. In 1936 the Estharian Army fielded a new standard service cartridge intended for both machine guns and rifles. This new cartridge was loaded with a new bullet designed in 1934 – the D-166, which had a nominal diameter of .310. The new service rifle m/39 was designed from the start around the D-166 thus it had nominal barrel diameter of .310.
The Balambian Nagants were considered to be the best variant of any Nagant rifles from other countries that used it.
- M28/30: Famously known as the Simo Määttä Rifle after legendary sniper, Simo Määttä was awarded with an honourary rifle.
- Autocratic East Europan Imperial Alliance: Used mostly by the Milizstreitkräfte
- 23x15px Bahatstva: Standard Issue
- Calvard: Standard Issue
- Empire of Quenmin
- Erebonian Empire: Captured vast stocks during Post-War of Lorican Aggression
- Holy Trabian Empire: Standard Issue
- Liberl: Standard Issue
- Lorican Alliance
- People's Republic of Lorica
- Remiferia: Standard Issue
- Ruzhite Empire: Standard Issue
- Rubrum: Captured vast stocks during the Post-War of Lorican Aggression
- United Kingdom: Captured vast stocks during the Post-War of Lorican Aggression.