Shūjìchù Sùqīng Fǎngémìng
|Parent department||Office of the State of Chairman|
The Secretariat to Eliminate Counter-Revolution (Xiaodongese: 书记处肅清反革命; Shūjìchù Sùqīng Fǎngémìng) commonly known as the "Shujichu" (the fuhao romanisation of "Secretariat") is the intelligence agency of the Auspicious Republic of Xiaodong. It oversees domestic, foreign and military intelligence agencies. It is led by a Director who is appointed by the State Chairman and also a member of the armed forces, sitting on the State Presidium.
The Shujichu was created in 1937 during the Xiaodongese Civil War as the Special Organisation to Eliminate Counter-Revolution (特別組織肅清反革命; tèbié zǔzhī sùqīng fǎngémìng) that answered to the executive committee of the Xiaodong Regeneration Society. In 1942, the Special Organisation was renamed the Secretariat and was made answerable to the State Presidium of Xiaodong. From the creation of the Auspicious Republic to the modern day the Shujichu was served as a secret police force, continuing to operate a large intelligence network within the country and Coius in general. In the 1980's some of its powers were gradually stripped back. Since Normalisation it has increased its role in Xiaodongese society in monitoring dissent.
The Shujichu is responsible for collecting information, counterterrorism and covert operations in the interests and security of the Xiaodongese state and people. It also oversees the Revolutionary Guard (革命卫队; gémìng wèiduì), a 200,000 strong gendarmerie force. The Shujichu has been accused of still operating as a secret police force, engaging in state terrorism and assassinating political figures abroad.
Methods and Operations
The Shujichu is officially part of the Army of National Salvation, but unlike other military divisions is responsible directly to the State Presidium rather than the Ministry of Defence and Military Planning (MoDMP). It is led by a Director, a military officer appointed by the State Chairman. It is divided into 9 directorates.
- Anti-Separatist Directorate - The Anti-Separatist Directorate is tasked with monitoring and suppressing separatist and other regionalist movements in Xiaodong. Given separatism is strictly against the Xiaodongese constitution the Anti-Separatist Directorate has an active role in repressing such activities, particularly operating in Chanwa. During the Chanwan War the military component of the Shujichu was primarily placed under the wing of the anti-separatist directorate.
- Anti-Heretical Directorate - The Anti-Heretical Directorate is responsible for the monitoring of heretical or "anti-Xiaodongese" religious practice in Xiaodong. It works closely with the Ministry of Religion and Beliefs in this regard, helping set the tone of Xiaodongese religious policy. Critics accuse it of targeting Sotirianity and to a lesser extent Irfan in its activities.
- Anti-Sedition Directorate - The Anti-Sedition Directorate was formed in order to ensure that "anti-Xiaodongese and seditious behaviour" is eliminated for society. The anti-sedition directorate has been identified as the "main source" of repression amongst the shujichu often using their remit to target anti-government groups. Due to their wide range of responsibilities the Anti-Sedition Directorates personnel is believed to overlap with other directorates.
- Counter-intelligence Directorate - The Counter-Intelligence Directorate was tasked with counterintelligence within Xiaodong, and so functions as the main domestic security branch of the Shujichu. The Counter-Intelligence Directorate is said to be one of the larger bodies within the Shujichu and the primary directorate dealing with day-to-day intelligence work within Xiaodong. It is accused of monitoring the regular military for insubordination although it denies it performs those duties.
- Economic Security Directorate - The Economic Security Directorate is officially tasked with "protecting the economic well-being of the Auspicious Republic of Xiaodong" which includes the prevention of economic sabotage by domestic and foreign sources. The ESD was created in 1938 following Operation Red Pheasant, when Senria launched industrial sabotage within Xiaodong to hinder its re-industrialisation. During the days of Xiaodong's command economy, members of this directorate would be posted in every workplace (larger and more important workplaces would have more then one posted within) where they would root out saboteurs. If economic targets were not being met then it would be their responsibility to root out those deemed to be hindering economic progress. Since the dismantlement of the command economy in the 1980's, the ESD has been tasked with countering industrial espionage, and has worked closely with Xiaodongese corporations to ensure the economic security of Xiaodong from foreign governments.
- Foreign Security Directorate - The Foreign Security Directorate is officially tasked with foreign espionage and distributing propaganda abroad. It officially does not focus on foreign military espionage which is the purview of the military's intelligence arm, the Department of Communications and Information.
- Technology and Research Directorate - The Technology and Research Directorate is primarily tasked with research into new ways of spying and defending Xiaodong. The Technology and Research Directorate is said to indirectly handle the production of chemical and biological weapons and assesses the technological capability of perceived opponents. They work closely with the military in the production of military technology.
- Immigration and Movement Directorate - The Immigration and Movement Directorate is designed to track the movement of the population of Xiaodong, as well as monitor who entered and exited the country. Xiaodong implemented draconian immigration protocols during the 1940's after massive brain drain during the 1930's with it being extremely difficult to enter the country under any circumstances or exit it. Those on collective farms had to have permission from local authorities to move to a different region within the country, and to exit the country altogether citizens needed special permission from the Ministry of International Relations. The Directorates powers were reduced after the government abolished internal passports in 1953.
- Labour and re-education Directorate - The Labour and re-education directorate officially manages the prison camp system in Xiaodong. The prison camps are divided into two categories - the labour camps (designed for criminals who would perform hard labour) and the re-education camps (designed for political prisoners). Prison camps are notorious for their poor conditions, long working hours and harsh punishments with torture being common. The re-education camp system was scaled back during the 2000's with over half the camps - predominantly re-education camps - being closed or transferred to the police.
List of Directors
|1||Brigadier General Shen Jinping||December 14, 1937 - June 12, 1950|
|2||General Han Fuqing||June 12, 1950 - March 8, 1957|
|3||Brigadier General Sun Yuting||March 8, 1957 - 17 April, 1970|
|4||General Qiao Hanying||17 April, 1970 - 18 July, 1984|
|5||Brigadier General Chen Yaoguo||18 July, 1984 - April 16, 1995|
|6||General Li Huaqing||September 30, 1995 - February 14, 2007|
|8||General Chen Bingzhang||February 14, 2007 – present|