This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
Kassar / Sattiapour / Kassar Chancellery
|Common languages||Soravian (official)|
|Government||Colony within an absolute monarchy (1750–1861)|
Autonomous governorate within a unitary presidential republic (1861–1946)
|Chandran Ghani Khan (first)|
|Yuri Pavlyuk (last)|
|Historical era||New Imperialism and Great War|
|30 March 1750|
• Kassari devolution
|9 August 1861|
• Returned to Subarna
|18 April 1946|
|1901||8,028 km2 (3,100 sq mi)|
|Today part of||Subarna|
Kassar (Soravian: Кассар; Kassar), also known as Sattiapour or the Kassar Chancellery (Soravian: Кассарська канцелярія; Kassars'ka kantselyariya) after 1861 was a protectorate of Soravia from 1750 to 1946. It consisted of the Kassar Peninsula, where the Subarnan city of Satyapur is located, and was conquered from the Aslamid Empire in 1750. With an official name change to the Kassar Chancellery by Eduard Olsov in 1861 and a shift to being a devolved and autonomous overseas province, Kassar was a prosperous port of Soravia's overseas empire and facilitated much of its colonial trade. Vladislav Pudovkin and the immediate post-independence government of Subarna facilitated the return of Kassar in 1946 after the Solarian War.
Most of the peninsula was rural, except for the urban settlements across the coast. Around 80% of Kassar was rural land in 1900, with only 45% of this land actively used for agriculture and farming. The weather was hot and humid, but experienced large amounts of rainfall, typical of an equatorial climate. These conditions made Kassar an excellent place for crop cultivation.
Kassar's capital was Baisara, alternatively spelled Baysara, where much of its population was concentrated. Other large districts included Lesnikovo in the north of the city, Malaina in the south, Dzhinar to the south-west (not part of the Kassar metropole but connected by rail and road to Baisara and Leniskovo), and Kongan Island to the west, which was known for its exotic beaches and housing. Road and rail connections existed throughout Kassar and connected much of its population centres. The Queen Sofia Docks in Baisara and eponymous Leniskovo Docks provided most of the peninsula's imports and exports.
Kassar's administration, both directly and indirectly, changed over the centuries that Soravia ruled over the peninsula, particularly in response to political events and developments in Euclea. When the peninsula was first obtained in 1750, its administration was simple in principle to the Colony of Chistovodia and Colony of Vinalia, where a governor would be appointed by the monarch to administer the province in their stead. Chandran Ghani Khan, a Subarnan-speaking administrator who assisted Soravia in gaining a foothold from the weakness of the Aslamid Empire, was selected by Frederick I as the first of these governors, becoming one of the first utility-based sayars to gain a notable office in Soravia.
The governor was responsible for the administration, policing and economics regarding Kassar, particularly those regarding internal funding and monetary distribution across the peninsula. Over time, the governor evolved into the lead figure of Kassar's evolving agricultural sector, consisting of lords and serfs who migrated there to utilise its fertile land. The governor was partially responsible for approving the purchase of plots of land in Kassar, which made the colony extremely wealthy in its early days. The governor still had to abide by imperial trade policy across Soravia, and their word could still be overruled by the Emperor of Soravia, and later the Minister-President of Soravia. Wenceslaus von Alzen exercised this when he overruled Ghani Khan's intention to make Subarnan a co-official language in Kassar and granting more autonomy to the peninsula's large Irfanic populace.
Alzen also introduced the Satrian Edict to the States-General in 1773, shortly after the death of Ghani Khan, which introduced a small council to assist the Kassari governor in legislating the area. Shortly after, in 1775, the Soltan of Sattiapour Edict passed the States-General, which allowed the previous Sultans of Kassar to retain their titles and some lands as a figurehead, provided they swear fealty to the Emperor. Some sultans also joined the Governor's Council as advisors to the governor, as many spoke Subarnan, were Irfanic and seen as a more unifying figure for Kassar's native population.
Eduard Olsov introduced sweeping reforms to Kassar's administrative systems in 1861, rapidly reshaping it away from the colonial models of administration and towards a domestically-ruled devolved governorate, partially exempt from the jurisdiction of the presidency and the State Convention. The previous governor was replaced with a new chancellor, and their office revamped to give them increased administrative jurisdiction within Kassar. The Sultans of Kassar were sent into exile and the Soltan of Sattiapour Edict revoked in 1862. Most Sultans chose to flee to Ajahadya, although some remained near Kassar in Etruria's and Estmere's colonial holdings in the region. The Council was kept, but called into a new session by the new post-civil war chancellor, Vasyl Tereschenko, who deposed all the previous councillors and appointed his own entirely new cabinet. With the loss of Chistovodia and Vinalia as colonial holdings in 1861, the Kassar Chancellery became a much more important overseas office within Soravia, and was often reserved for the president's closest allies. When Olsov died in 1904, partial suffrage was introduced to chancellery elections in Kassar, restricted to Sotirian males over the age of 27. In 1911, the age was reduced to 22 after the efforts of Yegor Khomenko. After the Great War, universal suffrage was introduced, and in 1938 the Irfanic people were permitted to vote in chancellery elections, only eight years before Kassar was returned to a newly-independent Subarna after the Solarian War.