Oko Broadcasting Corporation
|Founded||July 22, 2022|
|Rikke Lassen |
|Services||Radio, Television, Online|
|Owner||Government Of Makko Oko|
Oko Broadcasting Corporation, also known as OBC, is the main Makko Oko public broadcasting company headquartered in Opposh.
OBC got its start when the Empire Of Makko Oko was originally incepted, right after the Civil Transition War. Many news publications had feared reporting on anything after the war went into the revolution's favor, so the government took over and created OMONN, the first, and only, news publication available in the nation, and it continued to stay that way for years. Sometime around 2021 to 2022, the government, being established after a couple of years, and officially recognized as the legitimate government internationally, set out to allow some private businesses, deeming the allowed ones, state authorized, but not all of them were allowed.
Originally, the government didn't want to sink its costs into state-run programming, other than MKBO, and so OMONN continued to be for news exclusively, with state-authorized private companies handling all the other channels. International channels weren't considered for broadcast very much, and very rarely did they actually end up getting approved by the government.
Establishment Of OBC
July 22nd, 2022, is when the government's position on state-run programming changed. With the realization that physical news media such as newspapers were harder to censor and control, and even harder to know what was said on it until after it was already published and distributed, the Industry & Securities Oversight Commission, in coordination with Emperor Conall Solis and the Ministry Of Land Integrity, a national ban on physical news media was instated, and with that, OMONN's official transition into its current state, the OBC.
The ban itself, which killed off most of what OMONN was originally created for, at least partially, which was during a time when the internet infrastructure was poor, not even reaching 34% of the nation's people, caused the government to rethink its original stance on state-run programming, and ended up converting OMONN into the OBC in a mass expansion of state-run mass media.
Rebranding Of OBC, Establishment Of History Division
On May 16th, 2023, Comptroller Rikke Lassen announced that OBC's television division was getting expanded, with the OkoTV branding being phased out and OBC would become the sole TV brand and corporation name. In addition, news was getting a dedicated channel named OBC News, with OBC 1 and 2 going to be upgraded to broadcast any OBC original content, with limited licensed content from other creators. News would run at 7:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 4:00 PM and 7:00 PM on the main channels for 30 minutes to an hour.
The expansion announcement ended on a high note, with Rikke announcing the establishment of the OBC Documentaries & Historical Works Division, which will be in charge of creating OBC original documentaries and historical content. The first work to be produced will be "The Islands Of Naju", spearheaded by Rikke themselves, a tribal member and person. The expansions are planned to be implemented by June of 2023.
OBC currently operates 4 national television channels as well as 1 international network. All channels, excluding international, are available for a charge as defined by the television provider in question, with the channels being available on all providers.
OBC One (The First)
- OBC's primary channel, OBC One, broadcasts OBC original and licensed content and programming, in addition to news blocks from OBC News. This channel was a founding channel of OBC's.
OBC Two (The Second)
- OBC's secondary channel, OBC Two, is a timeshift channel of OBC One, broadcasting content from OBC One hours later. This channel was a founding channel of OBC's.
OBC News International (The News, Across The World)
- OBC News International is an OBC channel that was created along with OkoTV 1 and 2 with the founding of OBC. The channel in question broadcasts news from Makko Oko to any nation and provider that agrees to carry it, subject to approval by the Makko Okoan Government.
OBC News Makuri (The News, All In Makuri)
- OBC News Makuri is an OBC channel that was launched on July 24th, 2022. The channel in question broadcasts strictly news, but unlike OBC One and Two and OBC News, the flagship channel, OBC News Makuri does it only in the Makuri language. It is a channel exclusive to the nation, and none of the content broadcasted on it is put on OBC News International, with that channel only broadcasting news in English.
OBC News (All The News, Whenever You Need It)
- OBC News is an OBC channel that was launched on May 16th, 2022. The channel broadcasts news and only news, 24/7/365, and only in English.
More channels are planned in the near future, with OBC just getting started.
OBC currently operates a single online service available to both local and international visitors.
Oko Online (The Only Online Source For News)
- Oko Online is the defacto online news publication in the nation, being available to both local and international visitors. Oko Online mainly reports on domestic matters but in major incidents will report on international matters, which in some cases may not be available to international visitors. Oko Online was a founding online service of OBC's.
- OMONN Newspaper was the defacto newspaper service within the nation from the empire's inception in 2019 to July 22nd, 2022, when the OBC was founded.
News programs are integral to OBC's schedule, and make up a considerable portion of its daily output, considering that OBC's predecessor, OMMON, did only news content such as the OMONN Newspaper. News content that's broadcasted on TV channels such as OkoTV 1 and 2, have the branding of OBC News, while Oko Online has its own branding, which is just Oko Online.
WorldVision Song Contest
Starting with WV101, the Makko Okoan Government officially declared that OBC, and in part, the Makko Okoan Government, claims and has the exclusive broadcasting rights to the WorldVision program within the nation. In addition, WV101 was the first WorldVision edition to be broadcasted within the nation, largely being ignored otherwise.