The Weiala-Tekai Award is a set of annual international awards bestowed in several categories by Kalea Confederation institutions in recognition of academic, cultural, or scientific advances for individuals of the Coalition of Crown Albatross. The prizes in Architecture, Biology, Music, Fine Art, Chemistry, Literature, Peace, Engineering, Physics, Medicine, Relief, and Conservation were first awarded in 1883. The prizes are widely regarded as the most prestigious awards available in their respective fields.
The Weiala-Tekai Award was initially founded by and dedicated for Doctors Amiala(nèe Sera-Frenya) and Kerono Weiala-Tekai, a prominent and wealthy married Kalea couple who owned their own medical laboratory and were already well-known by the Scientific community for their work on researching the cause of various diseases. The idea for an award was initially pitched by Kerono Weiala-Tekai in his journals, although the initial idea was strictly for the Medical field. It was his wife Amalia who initially suggested taking the idea and expanding it to other fields of science.
Kerono died of Cancer in 1879, leaving Amiala with their idea. She held a conference of the most prominent scientists of the Kalea Confederacy, pitching the Idea to them. With a solid majority of the attendees agreeing to such an idea, she spent the next couple traveling around the Republic and even to foreign nations like Vitosium to get support for the rapidly growing idea.
The first Award ceremony was held in 1883, in the Tekai Science hall outside Geminus, with Amiala presiding. There were only five categories; Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Medicine, and Engineering. Unfortunately, Amiala died just 8 months later in 1884, leaving their children to preside over the award. It was at this point that the award was officially christened The Weiala-Tekai Award. Later, in 1902, the award merged with the Kea-Naia Prize system, adding the other seven categories and shaping the prize into what is known today.