Spiritual Republic of Abantium
Map of Abantium
|Ewa Nothando II|
|Indepedence from Norrium|
• Third Republic
This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
(1st paragraph. Name. Location. Borders. Approx population and size. Capital city.)
(2nd paragraph. Political system. Short history in 1 sentence. Link with present in 1 sentence. Head of state.)
(3rd paragraph. Economy in 2 sentences. International relations in 1 sentence.)
(WIP. Landscape. Climate.)
Abantium is surrounded by highlands, with their central region a low land savannah forest where most of the population resides, this made defending the territory historically incredibly difficult. As such the capital, Inhlokodolobha is located on the northern highlands away from possible invading ground armies.
- For most of history, the lands of Abantium have been under the control of neighbouring states, with the Abantiums rarely ever maintaining their own independent nation. However, Abantium being in the cross roads of Norrium and Orioni empires; and the Himayas of Noble Nykia and Wajoka.
- 1700s — This meant that the nobility and merchant classes of Abantium grew wealthy and powerful regional hegemons, who were able to haggle out a tributary under the Norrium Empire in the mid 1700s.
- 1960 — Abantium gained independence from Norrium in November of 1960 as a republic.
- 1964 — The head of state changed the constitution in 1964 to become a one party state and ruled with an iron fist and attempted to implement Norrium-based laws and customs into Abantium society.
- 2005 — On the 10th of July 2005 the republic was overthrown by Spiritual Fundamentalists (sponsored by Norrium) to form the current theocratic republic in worship to the Inkolo faith.
(WIP. Government. Political parties. Foreign relations. Military.)
The Abantium Government maintains a state capitalist economics model, standard for Spiritual Republics. The Diviner is also the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, controls the military intelligence and security operations, and has sole power to declare war or peace. The heads of the judiciary, state radio and television networks, the commanders of the police and military forces and six of the twelve members of the Guardian Council are appointed by the Diviner and/or the Assembly of Experts. The nation’s current Divinetrix (female Diviner) is Ewa Nothando II, succeeding her mother Ewa I who ruled from 2005 to 2017.
Along side the Diviner is a group of advisors called the Assembly of Experts. The Assembly of Experts elects and dismisses the members of the Guardian Council on the basis of qualifications and popular esteem. The remaining six of the Guardian Council are elected by the people, although are just as likely to be dismissed by the Assembly of Experts or the Diviner.
(WIP. Employment. Exports. Energy. Transport. Media. Currency.)
Most of Abantium’s economy is reliant on petroleum, natural gas, and precious metals and are controlled by numerous private and national companies with minimal worker’s rights. The only other major sector in the economy is agriculture, but it is primarily local and subsistence based. Slavery is still a big issue in the country in mining and kidnapping of people from the rural areas of their neighbours, souring foreign relations even with other Spiritual Republics.
(WIP. Ethnic groups. Language. Religion. Health. Education.)
Southern Bantoid, primarily Zulu people. The state religion of Abantium is Inkolo. All other religions are banned, including the irreligious.
(WIP. Literature. Visual arts. Music. Cuisine. Sport.)
The flag is based of the flag of Norrium, using black predominately with a white oxen symbol. The symbol of the ox is important to the Inkolo faith. Yellow and Green are colours associated with the initial national movements across Norrium leading to the liberation of Abantium, as well as symbolic of the fertile ground and agriculture of Abanatium.
- Phase 2.3 – Nation Change List (30 July 2021)
- OOC. No, I did not make up the name it means The Capital (City) in Zulu. Zulu has a lot of long words.