Anthem: "The Song of the Volscians"
Location of Volsci
|Government||Unitary parliamentary republic|
• 2018 census
|Gini (2017)|| 32.7|
|HDI (2017)|| 0.680|
The Volsci Republic, commonly abbreviated to Volsci, is a nation on Eurth. Situated in northern Europa, it is bordered by Deltannia to the north-west, Vetok to the south-west, and Karthenia and Baranchia to the south-east. Historically, they were among the most dangerous enemies of ancient Aroma.
Other scholars compare the Volscian personal name Catolcus to the Pynglish cadwalch ('hero' or 'battle-hawk'), though some prefer to translate Sabellic *uolco- as 'wolf' and, by semantic extension, 'errant warrior'.
The Volscian territory is situated in the northern edge of Europa, in the Buranian subcontinent. The area extends from the Kosscow Sea in the west, to the Gulf of Lanjon in the north, and the Oriental Ocean in the west. It includes some islands in the north and east. Lake Kitezh in the southeast is the largest lake in the nation. The Volscian forests are forbidding and cold. Some of the major cities include: Antium (capital), Anxur (seaport), Corioli and Velitrae. Minor cities include: Aquinum, Arpinum, Atina, Casinum, Fabrateria, Fregellae, Frusino, Interamna, Signia and Sora.
|Climate data for Antium 2000-2010 normals, records 1950-present.|
|Record high °C (°F)||8.5
|Average high °C (°F)||−1.3
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−3.9
|Average low °C (°F)||−6.5
|Record low °C (°F)||−34.4
|Precipitation mm (inches)||52
|Avg. rainy days||19||17||15||11||11||14||12||15||14||16||18||20||182|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||38||70||138||194||284||297||291||238||150||93||36||29||1,858|
The early Volscians were a pagan tribe, well known in the history of the first century of the Aroman Empire. At the time, they inhabited the partly hilly, partly marshy district of the south of Antium. The confederation of small kingdoms sprung up along the great rivers of the north. The local tribal leaders forged marriage pacts with any other Buranian adventurers, hiring their swords to subdue their neighbours.
For centuries, brave traders ventured there to buy furs, fox pelts, rabbit and ermine from the tribes of the woods. That trickle of traders became a flood, and great towns sprung up on the rivers. Fortune-seekers came up from the Oriental coasts, from the southern steppes, and most of all from the Aroman Empire.
Under pressure from the Aroman empire, they elected a prince to lead them in war, and eventually the princes became a hereditary office. According to Volscian folklore, their first leader was Koschei the First, notorious for kidnapping young women and was said to be immortal. The nearby Kosscow Sea receives its name from him. But the idea of a monarchy has never sat easily with the independence-minded Volscians, and the potential for rebellion always lurked under the surface.
For several centuries the Volsci were amongst the most dangerous rivals of ancient Aroma. They repeatedly allied with their neighbours in opposition to the Aromans. In 270 CE, the tribal confederation invaded a nearby province of the Aroman Empire. They fought the assembled Aromans at the Battle of Cryophobae in 279 CE. Volscian tribes remained in the area, blending into the nomadic identities of the neighbouring steppe cultures.
During the medieval period, the Volsci turned to piracy on the Kosscow Sea and became fierce enemies of the neighbouring nations. They attacked merchants and clergy passing near their shores, and even raided close to Tagmatika itself. Volsci–Tagmatine peace treaties did not last long, as the Volsci quickly returned to piracy.
This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
- Relationship with Deltannia, Burania and Europa.
- Any colonial holdings? Probably some coastal cities in NE Argis.
- From monarchy to republic. Where there any intermediate systems? How did the aristocracy react?
- Modernisation. Trains would make a great addition to connect such a large land area. New riches leads to a new elite.
- Offshore oil discoveries. Particularly in the shallow Kosscow Sea. Maybe also inland and along the eastern shores?
- 1900s-1959: occupation of Deltannia, as mentioned in Deltannia#History.
- Climate impact? Compare to what's happening in parts of Siberia.
- Contemporary history. Mix of IC and OOC references.
The Volsci Republic is run as a de facto triumvirate. Though the three triumviri are theoretically equal, the executive is consider primus inter pares.
- The Executive Triumvir heads the Government and is responsible for the daily activities and management of the executive branch. The current Executive Triumvir is the Honourable Nadar Berbatiev, elected in April 2019. His role is equivalent to the function of President.
- The Legislative Triumvir is the head of the Parliament, responsible for the regulation and management of the legislative branch, and required to sign all laws passed. The current Legislative Triumvir is Berg Krimson.
- The Judicial Triumvir is the head of the Judiciary and acts as the supreme judge of the Supreme Court. The current Judicial Triumvir is Vigdis Gudmundson. The Judicial Triumvir is responsible for the managing of the judiciary, appointing Judges, and administering the oath of office of federal officials. The Judicial Triumvir is required to sign all major documents passed by the judicial branch.
The Triumvirate follows a fanatical doctrine that seeks to control the Eurth and the fate of mankind. Central to their belief system is the strong monotheistic worship of the God of the Abrahamic religious tradition. According to Triumvirate's core belief, the Eurth was last pure and untainted after God cleansed it in the Biblical Great Flood endured by Noah, which they claimed to have occurred around 8,000 years ago. Since then, the Eurth became consumed by chaos and sin. And only the Triumvirate has received God's divine command to restore humanity to paradise.
To accomplish this holy order, the Triumvirate seeks to influence other nations by any means necessary, and if needed they will erase all traces of heretical and blasphemous civilisations. The Triumvirate shares similarities with the Knights Templar, a Tacolic Military Order active during the Crusades for the Holy Land.
Volscians are Europan people belonging to the larger Buranic linguistic group. From the early 8th century BCE they spread to inhabit the majority of northern Europa. Volscian people are divided into three geographic subgroups: Oscans (chiefly East-Volscians, Karthenians), Wescans (West-Volscians, Vetokite), and Boscans (North-Volscians, Deltannians). Within Volscian society there exists a relatively strong belief in Pan-Buranian Universalism. This is a non-political movement that promotes cultural unity and, to some extent, homogenisation among different Buranian communities.
- Winter: January and February.
- Unlocking: March and April.
- Spring: May and June.
- Summer: July and August.
- Autumn is September and October.
- Locking: November and December.
- Kurt Vonnegut: “There Are Six Seasons Instead of Four” (30 October 2019)
- Volsci: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volsci
- Volcae: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcae
- Narentines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narentines