This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
Commonwealth of Andalla
Samveldet Andalla (Andallan)
Motto: "Alt for Gud, for Folk, for Land"
"All for God, for People, for Country"
Location of Andalla (dark green)
and largest city
|Official languages||Andallan |
|Recognized national languages||Giokton|
|Recognized regional languages||test|
|Ethnic groups |
|Government||Unitary semi-presidential republic|
• Kingdom of Auðir
• Aundelan Union (Åndeliskríkin)
• Kingdom of Åndelir
• Transitional Government
|January 8, 1900|
|June 28, 1898|
|42,748 km2 (16,505 sq mi)|
• Water (%)
• 2017 estimate
• 2016 census
|656/km2 (1,699.0/sq mi)|
|GDP (PPP)||2017 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2017 estimate|
• Per capita
|Gini (2015)|| 38.8|
|HDI (2017)|| 0.865|
|Currency||Amla (₳) (ALA)|
|Time zone||UTC-9 (AST)|
|Date format||dd/mm/yyyy |
|ISO 3166 code||AL|
Andalla (// AN-də-luh; Andallan: Andalla //), officially the Commonwealth of Andalla (Andallan: Samveldet Andalla), is a sovereign state in Thalassa. An archipelagic nation, it is composed of approximately 1,279 islands, islets, and atolls, centered around 9 main islands running in a northwest-southeast direction. The capital city of Arkhavn, located on the island of Sudholm, is also the nation's largest by population with 2.28 million residents. Andalla is bounded by the Sea of Andalla to the west and the Tiauhai Sea to the east, both part of the larger Thalassan Ocean. Politically, it does not share maritime borders with any nation; however, its neighbors include the Sunset Sea Islands to the west, Cashar to the northeast, and Giokto & Little Flau to the east.
97% of the nation's total land area of 42,748 km2 (16,505 sq mi)
With an estimated population of 28,036,248 in 2017, it is also one of the world's most densely-populated countries at 656 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,700/sq mi).
Andalla is an active participant in regional affairs, and a founding member of ATARA. The country ranks 91.25 or "Highly Free" on the Mundus Liber Freedom Index, a Mauridivian index of global freedom.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History
- 3 Geography
- 4 Politics
- 5 Economy
- 6 Demographics
- 7 Culture
The name Andalla is derived from an ancient Sjådska legend. According to the legend, a man was observing a beautiful clay jar lying on the beach when the spirit of Hjaaví, the god of the Sjådska, came to him. Hjaaví told the man about a faraway land that, one day, the Sjådska would inhabit. But before the man could speak, the spirit of Hjaaví disappeared. Thus, the man spread the word, calling the islands Andansland, a contraction of the Sjådska words andi and land, meaning "Land of the Spirit".
Nearly 3 millennia of phonological change has resulted in the name's gradual morphing to become Andalla. The people of Andalla are known as Andallans; similarly the adjectival form for Andalla is Andallan.
Formerly, Andska was used to denote Andalla both in demonymic and adjectival form, derived from the native word for the Andallan people. The use of Andska is considered archaic and obsolete, having been slowly replaced with Andallan during the 18th and 19th centuries. However, it is still often used as a poetic name for the Andallan people.
The earliest phase
The beginning of Andallan history can be traced back as far as the emergence of the nomadic Proto-Xaraian tribes in the 4th millennium BCE. Spread across Central Argis in what is now modern-day Ahrana and parts of east Dniester, the Proto-Xaraian tribes were strategically positioned in between the Mediargic and Canamo seas. Very few archaeological records dating to the Proto-Xaraian period have been unearthed, as tribes were small and spread out across a large area. However, historians have speculated that the Proto-Xaraian tribes were divided roughly into northern and southern halves, as is the case with the Xaraian civilizations later on.
The earliest remains of a Xaraian person consist of a single fibula and tibia belonging to what became the only known remnant of the Dumanev Man, discovered by Ahranaian archaeologist Alexei Dumanev in 2002. The two bones were carbon-dated to c. 1975 BC, and are currently on display at the Holtrup Museum of Archaeology.
The Xaraian civilizations emerged c. 1500 BC, following the neolithic revolution in Central Argis. The first pockets of organized society were formed in the eponymously-named Xara, in the far-southwest corner of Ahrana. Although the Xaraian tribes are collectively referred to as a group of civilizations, many tribes existed in near-isolation with their neighbors. Historical records document trade routes between the tribes, as well as occasional alliances formed in conflicts against outsiders; however, the so-called Xaraian civilizations were only a very loose group of many small component societies.
The most powerful Xaraian tribe was the Proto-Ahran civilization, from which the Ahranaian and Andallan people are descended from. Located along the north coast of the Varma Sound at the far-eastern tip of the Mediargic Sea, the Proto-Ahran capital of Vulgus Supra became a center for trade between Mediargic civilizations and the rest of the Xaraian tribes. By c. 1200 BC, Vulgus Supra was one of the largest cities in all of Argis, with a population of around 20,000 inhabitants. Archaeological evidence suggests that the city was a melting pot of cultures, with pottery and other articles from all over the Mediargic and Canamo areas found beneath the ruins.
Three centuries after its founding, the city of Vulgus Supra was facing overcrowding issues due to multiple factors, among them a rapidly-expanding economy and population. Similar cases have been documented in other surrounding settlements along the Xaraian coast. As a result of this, the Proto-Ahran civilization began to separate into two primary sub-groups: the Sjådska and the Ahrans. Between the two, the Sjådska were more eager to expand out of their current territory, establishing city-states further east and across the sound from c. 950 to 920 BC. During this time, the Sjådska continued to maintain close links with the Ahrans; the alliance between the two peoples lasted for roughly half a millennium from the Proto-Ahran split to the fall of Xara.
Around 905-890 BC, a fast-growing city-state at the easternmost tip of the Mediargic Sea known as Stórrshǫfna (lit. "great harbor") became the economic, political, religious, and cultural center of the Sjådska civilization. By 878 BC, Stórrshǫfna had surpassed the population of Vulgus Supra at its peak before the split. It became the largest port city in the Mediargic Sea, providing the base for the economic and eventually political expansion into parts of the Sakspati and Ygros seas.
It was during this period of expansion that the Sjådska city-states formed a treaty of unification in 874 BC, parts of which are preserved on the Gyldar Stone. Under the treaty, all Sjådska city-states and their colonies would unite under the leadership of an elected chieftain (Sjådska: "hǫfðingi"). Bearing similarities to the modern-day prime minister, the chieftain was elected by a board of representatives from every city-state and would serve until death, unless the chieftain chooses to step down or is voted out of his position.
Following the ways of the Proto-Ahrans and Xaraians before them, the Sjådska were excellent seafarers and fishermen. Numerous advancements in shipbuilding technologies paved the way for the maritime dominance of the Sjådska over the Mediargic Sea. Economic activity was concentrated near the coast with shipbuilding, trade, and fishing, while woodworking and mining were more common further inland. Culture and religion also developed quickly during this period, marked by a notable rise in pottery and musical instruments. Sjådska artworks were often religious in nature, attesting to the widespread veneration of the two highest Sjådska deities: Haví, the "king of the gods", and Njöruðr, the god of seafaring. Although by position Njöruðr was subordinate to Haví, both deities assumed a near-equal following in Sjådska culture. In the center of the Stórrshǫfna stood Himinshof (lit. "Heaven's Temple"), a communal worship hall bearing the statues of all Sjådska deities, regarded by the Sjådska as the holiest place on Eurth.
The Sjådska civilization reached its peak around 558 BC under the leadership of Melður, a philosopher-priest who claimed to have been visited by the spirit of Haví, the highest deity of the Sjådska pantheon. According to his account, dated to around 575 BC and known as the Legend of Melður, he recalls his encounter with Haví while walking along a beach. In their conversation, Haví promised expansion into a land "overflowing with abundance and prosperity", which would occur later on in time. Melður also claimed to have been divinely appointed to lead the Sjådska people in a large-scale expansion campaign in order to prepare the people for the riches that await them in the "land of life" (Sjådska: "Ǫndeland"). Because of this, Melður instantly rose in popularity, being nominated and elected to the chieftaincy the following year. During the reign of Melður, the Sjådska established small trading posts as far as modern-day Limonaia, amassing a large trading fleet known as the "Margsflotti" (lit. "multitude fleet").
Decline of the Sjådska
Following the death of Melður in 539 BC, the ruling council could find no worthy candidate to oversee the expansion. Instead, local leaders were once again appointed over city-states and colonies, although subject to the monitoring of the ruling council. Though the Sjådska economy remained strong, society began to fall apart as long-distance links between settlements were severed. The Margsflotti, which also contained a contingent of the Sjådska navy, split into numerous smaller fleets by geographic location. As conflict was very uncommon in the area, the Sjådska did not have a very well-developed army.
Taking these factors into consideration, a number of small tribes from the southeast formed a coalition to raid the wealthy Sjådska, which became known as the "Helmaðr" (lit. hell men). In a series of wars lasting for over 40 years from 485 to 442 BC, the Sjådska civilization slowly crumbled until the government was highly decentralized. After the Third Battle of Stórrshǫfna in 457 BC, during which Himinshof and half the city was completely burned down, the Sjådska finally severed links between city-states.
As economic and social development ground to a halt, a plague began to spread among the Helmaðr, now identified as caused by the bacteria Y. pestis. The plague's spread to the Sjådska was inevitable, and by 443 BC the fighting had stopped due to mass deaths on both sides of the war. The Helmaðr, now numbering only a fourth of the initial invasion force, left the area in 442 BC.
The Great Departure (Utgang)
As the Helmaðr Wars concluded with the retreat of the attackers, the situation among the Sjådska was growing desperate. Infected people were sent out of cities or left to die among massive piles of corpses. The healthy population, numbering nearly half of the total 90,000 Sjådska population, began preparations to leave the area. With half of Stórrshǫfna and Himinshof destroyed by flame and the other half falling apart due to civil unrest, the company of Sjådska priests offered sacrifices to Haví for guidance in their journey to find the promised land. As the Helmaðr Wars were fought on land, much of the Sjådska fleets remained intact. The trading ships were modified to carry twice as much passengers and crew, forming a new type which came to be known as the "Útskip". This marked the beginning of the "Útgangr" ("Utgang") or Great Departure, recognized as one of the largest mass migrations in ancient history.
The first ships to set sail left in 441 BC, reaching the island of Altaria after a few weeks' voyage. Recounting the sagas of early Xaraian explorers, the Sjådska had expected to encounter the Sidragente; however, they were met by the lighter-skinned Narvics who had replaced the Sidragente long after their disappearance. The Sjådska and Narvic people formed an agreement of friendship, allowing the Sjådska to remain on the island for as long as they wished. In the course of time numerous small settlements developed along the east coast of the island, the largest of which was Nyrhǫfn with an estimated population of around 10,000. The site, which was abandoned in 353 BC, was rediscovered by Juan Diego de Narváez in 1762 and remains an important Iverican archaeological site today.
During the Utgang the Sjådska travelled by clans, with no central leadership among them. The lack of a unified body resulted in the dispersing of the Sjådska around the area, with some clans choosing to stay behind in Altaria or even settle in the Iberic peninsula. Traces of the Y-chromosome haplogroup I-M198b have been found in the region, with higher frequencies concentrated among Iverican and Narvic people. However, little is known regarding the whereabouts of the Sjådska tribes that chose to stay behind in Altaria.
Though the Sjådska did not completely abandon Altaria until 349 BC, historical accounts of the Utgang indicate movement as early as 378 BC. Landing somewhere along the coast of modern-day Lusotropia, the Sjådska continued their migration southwards. It is unclear whether the Sjådska traveled predominantly by land or by sea; historians have generally accepted that both choices were feasible as the Sjådska were highly decentralized. Speed was generally the priority of the Sjådska during this time, as very little archaeological evidences of the Utgang have been unearthed in Alharu.
The Sjådska are hypothesized to have reached the Ketek peninsula by 357 BC, where clans dispersed across the western coast of the peninsula. Evidences of trade with the Ketek people have been found as far north as Protiva, and as far south as the western cape of Alharu.
In 1041 BC, the Saermaðr fleets set sail once more into the Thalassan Ocean, covering much farther distances then before with their newly-repaired ships and restocked supplies. In the same year, the Saermaðr reached the Cashari peninsula, trading with the Madronians and departing once more.
The very first sighting of what would become the Andallan archipelago was in 1040 BC, when the fleet of the clan Tyrkir spotted what is now the island of Børøy. At first, the weary sailors believed it was just another stop on their voyage. Expeditionary teams were sent out into the island to find signs of life, but none could be found. After several failed expeditions, the Saermaðr, now fully-assembled along the beach, decided to construct a settlement. The settlement, originally called "Auðir", meaning "deserted",
The basic framework, structure and functions of the Government of Andalla are outlined in the current Constitution, which was ratified on 28 June 1898 by King Christian IV, the last reigning monarch of the Kingdom of Andalla, effectively abolishing the constitutional monarchy and replacing it with a republican system.. Among the central provisions of the
with the approval of the King (known as the "Great Sacrifice"). Its ratification in 1898 marked the success of a three-year peaceful effort. In honor of the peaceful transition, June 28 is celebrated every year as "Constitution Day", while "National Constitution Month" is observed all throughout the month of June.
Among the most commonly-cited excerpts of the Andallan constitution is found in Article I, Sections 1 and 2, also known as the "Commonwealth Principles".
|“||SECTION 1. Andalla is a democratic republic. The State shall be known, formally and officially, as a Commonwealth, that which upholds only the public interest and strives only toward the common good.
SECTION 2. The State exists by the people. All government authority is derived from the people, to whom it shall likewise belong.
The Andallan government is divided into three branches: the Legislative, the Executive, and the Judiciary, the duties and powers of which are described in Articles III (Legislative), IV (Executive) and V (Judiciary) of the Constitution, respectively.
Andalla functions as a unitary state, wherein authority comes from the national government. It is divided into three branches – executive, legislative and judiciary. Over time, laws like the Local Government Bill of 1964 have granted local government units (lokalregering enhed) more independence in governing themselves.
The President of Andalla serves as both Head of State and Head of Government. He is also the commander-in-chief of the Andallan Commonwealth Armed Forces (Samvelden Andska Forsvarskraefter). The President is elected to a six-year term by popular vote but can only serve a maximum of one term, during which a cabinet is appointed. While in office, the President resides in the Købmanshavn Palace, an 18th-century palace along the banks of the Torå River.
A member of the Nasjonelforsamling is known as a Member of the Assembly (Samlingsmedlem), often shortened to MA.
Andalla is a developed nation with a high-income mixed economy. Andalla had a nominal GDP of $648.84 billion and a per capita GDP of $23,143 in 2017, according to the Andallan Statistics Agency (ASA). Once a relatively low-income economy, much of Andalla's economic growth can be attributed to extensive new trade policies implemented during the reigns of Olaf III (1627-1659), Erik V (1659-1690), Kristian II (1743-1759) and Gerhard IV (1765-1787).
The Andallan economy is led by the services sector, accounting for 47% of the GDP in 2016. While Andalla is considered a developed nation by most financial institutions, a significant part of the economy is still powered by industry and agriculture.
Andalla is home to 28,036,248 people according to the Andallan Statistics Agency's (ASA) final 2017 estimate, a 0.88% growth from 27,791,688 during the 2016 national census. Life expectancy at birth is 76.43 years for males and 80.56 years for females, averaging 78.49 years for both sexes.
According to the 2016 census, 80.3% of Andallan citizens are of Andallan ancestry while 11.6% are of Giokton ancestry. The remaining 8.1% are composed mostly of Sunset Sea Islandians, Ivericans, Selayari, Flautons, Kipanese and Cashari.
Approximately 4,294,000 Andallans live overseas, forming one of the world's largest diasporas. The largest foreign Andallan community is located in Ahrana, with an estimated 1,237,000 Andallans living in Ahrana in 2017. Significant diasporas are located in the Sunset Sea Islands, Selayar, Iverica, Orioni and Prymont.
Though officially a secular state, the vast majority of Andallans adhere to a Christian denomination. Accordingly, Andalla's largest religion is Christianity, followed by Phosattism and Tacolism. According to the 2016 census, 20.9 million people or 78.3% of Andalla's population adhere to Christianity. Buddhism follows at 6.7% and Tacolism at 2.4%. Furthermore, nearly 9.5% of Andallans consider themselves atheist or agnostic.
Though roughly 90% of Andallans adhere to a religion or worship a deity, recent surveys conducted by the Pollitelig Institute indicate that only 73.4% of Andallans consider religion as an important aspect of their life, while 55.7% regularly attend religious gatherings.