Commonwealth of Damak Var
Motto: The high tide draws near
and largest city
|Recognised regional languages||Oharic creole|
|Government||Unitary parliamentary republic|
• High Executor
• Speaker of the Grand Council
|Legislature||Grand Council of the Thirteen Provinces|
• 2020 estimate
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
If you are the editor who added this template and you are actively editing, please be sure to replace this template with
The Commonwealth of Damak Var is a sovereign island nation state within the Meteorolan Archipelago of the South Europan continent on Eurth. It is bordered by Red Iberos and Miiros to the north, Bainbridge Islands to the east, Ayubi to the southwest, and Yien and Norrium to the west. Damak Var has a total population of 15.5 million. The capital and largest city is Avantine.
(2nd paragraph. Political system. Short history in 1 sentence. Link with present in 1 sentence. Head of state.)
(3rd paragraph. Economy in 2 sentences. International relations in 1 sentence.)
There are several theories about the origin of the name Damak Var. According to Orinese historian Puri Bakaraka, it comes from the old Chulese word “delemak” (mangrove, swamp). Early modern Memopotamian sources believe it comes from the Sahrabic language word “dimak” (دموع, tears), symbolising the struggles of establishing Salam in Damak Var. [a] Later Orinese historians highlighted the similarities with the etymology of Tamurin, and proposed the constructed name “Damo + Wara'”. This would mean “across from the (land of the) pious people.” During Orinese colonial times, the island is also known by the name Daini in the Oharic language.
- Prehistory — Varian peoples have inhabited Damak Var since prehistoric times. Early human presence when Azano-Marenesian peoples first took to the sea. First stop towards Meteorolan islands to the east and Marenesia to the southwest.
- Ancient — Part of the Chulo Empire throughout the Meteorolas.
- Before the emergence of an independent Kingdom of Damak Var, the islands were the seat of many Chulese communities, both foreign merchants and local Varians.
- The independence process gained momentum following the fall of the Chulese capital Pa'pi to a usurper from Bainbridge Islands.
- ** Off the eastern coast of Norrium and Yien lie the islands of Damak Var, reminiscent of Orioni in character yet with their own unique religion and culture. Feudal warlords competed with one another across its many islands. For most of their history, however, the Varians have remained isolationist and closed off their ports to outsiders. But, when united, they possess such a mastery over the sea to even threaten Orioni or more distant ports.
- Medieval —
- Influence of Salam.
- Damak Var became the first Salamid kingdom in the Meteorolas.
- It is traditionally linked with the legendary Wali Songo, the nine Salamid ulama who proselytized Salam among the then strongly animist population of Damak Var.
- Demak's prominence grew with that of Memopotamia, and was also enhanced by the monarch's claim of direct descent from Nabi Hanan and his marriage ties with neighbouring royal houses.
- Salamid sites such as the Avantine Great Mosque continue to draw ziyarat pilgrimage among Salamids in the region.
- Early modern — Orinese ambassador repeatedly visited the Varian Court between 1465–1469.
- Along with the ambassador, they also sent tens of military advisors.
- These military advisors didn't leave.
- Just three years later the Orinese were able to conquer the main island with 80,000 soldiers on 2,000 ships.
- In 1472 it became an Orinese colony and was renamed to Daini.
- The occupier also resettled thousands of veterans to Daini.
- They settled, married local women, and had children.
- These veterans in turn also took enslaved people with them and established plantations on land grants.
- Beginning in the 1500s, the area was reorganised under the Orinese crown as the Kingdom of Daini. This led to the proliferation of sugar plantations run by Orinese settlers and manned by slaves raided from Azanian and Amutian territories as far north as Qubdi. This arrangement continued for centuries.
- Independence from Orioni in 1908.
- Corporatocracy morphed into authoritarian state.
- Economy grew after independence.
- Damak Var was able to modernize its military, dramatically increasing its military might.
- Stagnated mid-century, but reinvented itself during the 1960s.
Damak Var is part of the geographical area of south Europa, strongly influenced by Azania, Amutia and the Orient. Damak Var shares no land borders. Damak Var lies along the Equator. The climate has a significant maritime influence. The country has experiences two seasons: a wet season and a dry season. There are no extremes of summer or winter. A few protected wildlife reserves also exists. When leaving the main cities and passing through the outskirts, you will see hundreds of thousands of square kilometres of forest. Damak Var is known for its forests and jungles, which cover most of the lowlands. Evergreen trees dominate the countryside, creating a beautiful landscape. The peninsula in the east is the only flat land in Damak Var, which serves as its agricultural centre. These plains are the most fertile part of the island and produce most of the country's food. The 17-kilometre long Diani Beach, along the southern coast of Gannington, has been voted Europa's leading beach destination for the fifth time running since 2015.
Damak Var loves maritime myths and legends and has a long history of them. It's no surprise that Damak Var's national animal is the large and famous Kraken. In Aroman mythology, the Kraken is a huge and strong sea monster. While the animal is mythological, the ideals it represents make it a good choice. There is incredible flexibility, creativity, and intelligence in the Kraken. It has become a symbol of Varian ability to overcome tough situations with smart thinking.
The country is divided into thirteen provinces. Each province is named after the largest city, which also serve as provincial capitals. Much of the population live in the suburb outskirts and well populated counties outside the city, as well as some large towns and villages in the countryside.
- The northwestern 2 provinces Avantine and Alesia are densely populated. Avantine (Vonrickover) is the capital of the nation and the largest city in all of Damak Var. This city was renamed to its original name preceding the fall of the old authoritarian regime. The city also happens to be the financial centre of the country. In Avantine there are countless skyscrapers, as well as a very efficient public transportation system. Alesia is another skyscraper-infested city. A good deal of information technology and software companies are based in Alesia. Avantine and Alesia have been vigorously competing against each other in business for over three hundred years, with a slight pause during the time of Emperor Imbel.
- The northeastern 4 provinces on the peninsula. Durimanica, Wallerton, Northern Selfax, and Southern Selfax (The Peninsular Cities). Almost all agriculture products of the country come from these four provinces. The Peninsular Cities are small, with low crime, and generally pleasant to visit.
- Central 4 provinces of Cascade, Covingtal, Ravensdale and Blenheim. These cities first began as small fishing villages, but grew into something even larger. Today they host the largest of all Varian fishing fleets, and have grown other industries as well. Deeper the these provinces towards the centre of the island, the altitude grows higher, creating some of the coldest regions in Damak Var.
- The southern 3 provinces of Kenland, Renwick, and Gannington are the countries largest manufacturing centres, with the most prominent being Renwick. All Southern cities, however, are poorer compared to the other provinces. Crime rate are higher than average. High levels of smog and pollution in the air have made these cities a very unpleasant place to visit.
The Grand Council appoints a High Executor to manage day to day affairs and carry out the will of the Grand Council. The High Executor appoints his own Executors to run each government department. Though they have the right to replace him and his cabinet at any moment. The current head of state is Mr Lucas North. Mr Dominic Ustral is the Speaker of the Grand Council of the Thirteen Provinces. There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded, pro-business individuals juggles the competing demands of Commerce, Education, and Public Transport. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Avantine. The country is notable for its keen interest in outer space
Police departments are maintained by individual provinces. Their mission is to ensure law and order, and pursue criminal justice. Base law enforcement force of the nation. Nationwide criminal investigations are performed by the Damak Var Crime Investigation Agency (DVCIA). Crime, especially youth-related, is relatively low. Condemned prisoners spend hours a day sitting in lotus position looking perplexed, cities are engulfed by smog, the nation is ravaged by daily union strikes, and mining is the nation's most dangerous occupation.
The military is not massive, but it is professional and up to date in technology. The Army has helicopters, no fixed wing air units. Has plenty of infantry, artillery, AA, and armour units. The Army has special forces units of their own as well. The standard infantry rifle is the FN FAL. The Army has been toned down greatly since the beginning of the New Order. Regius Navy is a moderate size and professional navy, being an island nation. The primary task the Navy is concerned of is the protection of trade routes by sea. The Navy is the most funded and focused part of the military. Steps are currently being taken to decrease the military spending in all areas except the navy. Damak Var has a standard and small sized Air Force. It is responsible for overseeing Damak Var air and sea space. Also is responsible for detecting attacks to Damak Var mainland. The Air Force specializes in long-range intercontinental bombing. Defence against other fighters and bombers is also a capability of the Air Force. But Damak Var relies more on the Army's mobile ground AA units hidden in secret positions all around the country when defending against enemy wing units.
Damak Var is a state of corporate opportunists. Varian corporations regularly take interest in armed conflicts around the globe due to their lucrative nature. They assess the need for construction contracting, financing, and any other "reconstruction" needs once the war is over, and New Edom needs to rebuild.
Damak Var is a member of the Group of Island Nations (GIN) and an observer of the Entente of Oriental States (EOS).
Damak Var maintains its own currency, the Varian Nitch, controlled by the central bank of Damak Var. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population billion are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Beef-Based Agriculture industries. (WIP. Energy. Transport. Media. Investment opportunity described in Damak Var, Investment Opportunity (20 September 2012).)
Demak derives its income from trade, exporting rice to neighbouring countries. Avantine is a busy port located along the strait separating Azania and Meteorolas, a major waterway for ships traveling along the coast from Orient to Occident. This strategic location enabled Avantine to become a leading trading center in the Meteorolas.
The culture of the islands is a mixture of Azanian (being the largest ethnicity), Orinese (as the former colonial power) and Miirosi (as the source of most tourists). (WIP. Literature. Visual arts. Music. Cuisine. Sport.) Damak Var has an estimated population of 15,500,000. The population are mainly the descendants of Orientals to the west and Azanians to the west. A small portion are also descended from Amutian labourers who came to help develop the recently independent industrial economy in the 1910s. The population is predominantly Salamid. There are also smaller communities with practitioners of traditional religions. The official language of Damak Var is Derrian. Many people speak an Oharic-based creole language as well. According to 2021 estimates, approximately 96% of the adult population are literate.
- ↑ OOC. Partially inspired the existing etymology for this similar sounding state, the Demak Sultanate.
- ↑ Kingdoms of Varia (Medieval, Fantasy, OOC, Closed) (27 May 2013)
- ↑ The Grand Commonwealth of Damak Var (21 May 2006)
- ↑ Damak Var OOC Information (13 June 2006)
- ↑ Daily Life in Fineberg (sign up) (20 September 2012)