Seylosian Crown Dependency of Llalta
Motto: "Strung Together Like a Chain of Flowers"
|Government||Crown Dependency with a Unitary Parliamentary Republic under a Non-Partisan Democracy|
• Vice Premier
|Hall of Mont Alexander|
|House of Populus|
• 2018 census
|GDP (nominal)||2018 estimate|
• Per capita
|Currency||Llaltese Pound (LIP)|
|Time zone||UTC +2|
Llalta is a Seylosian crown dependency located in the center of the Adlantic Ocean, consisting of a single island that spans 1,104 square miles (2,860 km2). Known for its vast mountain landscape, covered with rivers and thick, dense forest, Llalta has a population of 3,316, making it the smallest dependency based on the population on Eurth. It has a minuscule economy, consisting mainly of fishing and agriculture. Llalta, whilst technically a part of the Kingdom of Seylos, enjoys a high degree of autonomy both internally and internationally, having its own government and premier.
Llalta is a minuscule island that sits in the Adlantic Ocean, directly in between Argis and Europa. As well as that, it is placed on the border between the Fractian plate and Marenesia Major, leading the island to be affected by earthquakes and tsunamis very often, and covered with volcanoes. The seas around the island are also particularly rough.
Due to its many mountains and its Northern position, Llalta is very cold, with mild summers and cold winters. Snow and rain are very prominent in Winter, Spring and Autumn, whilst Summers are usually mild and sunny. The island faces many storms in Spring and Autumn as well.
The island is covered in a vast mountain range known as the Cavendale, which is covered in thick, dense forests. The trees are mostly evergreen, but coniferous trees are common too. Volcanic eruptions also give the soil fertility, allowing a various amount of flora to grow across the island. The fertile soils are also great for harvest.
The first recorded discovery of Llalta was in 1832, 8th December, by Seylosian explorer Alexander Cavendale. The team recorded and mapped the island, noting the untouched flora, fauna, and landscape. Despite this, Cavendale and his team left the island, and Llalta remained seemingly uninhabited until 1862.
Coal Mining (1862 - 1897)
In 1862, Seylosian businessman James Gallaghan discovered a large amount of coal on the island, specifically in the Northern valleys and mountains, and built a coal mine, which was in high demand back in the mainland. Many working-class Seylosians from Alba and Cymry migrated over to Llalta in search of work. By 1870, Llalta's population was 6,000. This population boom also gave way to Llalta's first port town being built, now known as St. Christopher, built to accommodate the mass amounts of coal being transported back to the mainland. Many smaller mining towns in the North were also built.
During this time, the people of Llalta were at a time of wealth, making huge profits for the mine owners at the time. And despite barely getting any of that profit, the miner's standard of living increased and lived better lives than many of those working in Seylosian mines. By 1875, the population grew to 9,000, garnering a huge profit for the mine owners. As a result, however, crime was a huge issue due to the lack of government or law on the island, and around 20% of Llalta's forests were being cut down for more land. Llalta produced a lot of CO2 as well at the time. Many species became endangered or even extinct.
In 1896, an 8.2 magnitude earthquake in the North of Llalta caused the mine to collapse, killing 682 people working in the mine at the time. A further 1,000 were killed during the earthquake in the many mining communities surrounding the mine, and many more died in the subsequent rockslides and tsunamis. It has been speculated that around 4,000 people, mostly miners, were killed in the earthquake and subsequent incidences. Around 3,000 were injured. Those 2,000 in the south, in St. Christopher, were barely affected. By 1899, the population had shrunk back to 2,000 and there was little support from Seylos. However, the two thousand left thrived well.
Modern Day (1899 - present day)
In 1930, Seylos granted Llalta a high amount of autonomy and gave Llalta a government to rule itself.
Lallta is a Crown Dependency with a Unitary Parliamentary Republic under a Non-Partisan Democracy. The head of state is King Aidan Redmond of Seylos. The head of government is Premier Eve Gallaghan, supported by Vice Premier Michael McHarley. The legislative parliament consists of two assemblies: the Hall of Mont Alexander (upper house) and the House of Populus (lower house).
Llalta’s tiny economy consists mainly of agriculture, farming, and the seafood industry. However, Llalta has a few other industries as well, such as producing high-quality wool and leather. Llalta’s main trading partner is Seylos, exporting and importing many products with each other.
Llalta’s biggest town, St. Christopher is the island's most important and only port, allowing sea trade with Seylos and acting as a key stop off point for ships traveling across the Adlantic Ocean.
Llalta is also home to a small Seylosian Royal Navy station, capable of servicing up to two ships at once. Station Llalta also has a contingent of marines which tends to fluctuate between twenty to forty individuals depending on if the station is being used more than usual or not. The contingency serves mainly as a small defensive force and is frequently called upon by the local government for local emergencies that require heavier equipment and more people than they have on hand. A former Seylosian marine called the station "One third naval base, one third fire station, and one third holiday retreat." Armed forces personnel are occasionally assigned to the station following particularly traumatic events during service as part of recover due to its low risk and idyllic location. Llalta station reportedly makes up almost ten percent of the Llaltan government budget from rents paid by the Royal Navy.